Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why do ppl dump their pets? >

Why do ppl dump their pets?

Why do ppl dump their pets?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

Oh, Anna sure is a beauty...cant believe someone dumped her!
We're in the country near a college town. Every Spring, when the students go home, pets end up being dumped out here. Mostly cats, and these are pets, so they have NO IDEA how to live in the woods. I think they kids think they can live off mice or something. A few years back, it was a beautiful pit bull...with his ball! He was SOOO sweet, and no one claimed him! I couldnt afford another dog, so AC had to be called. Man did I cry my eyes out on that one!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:11 AM

I think God has a place for people that dump unwanted animals. These people will suffer the results - it will be HOT where they go.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

How long do "humane shelters" keep the animals?

If not very long, they should have BIG SIGNS at the entrance saying "If no one adopts your pet within X number of days, it will be killed because we don't have the money to keep it alive any longer than that."

Once upon a time I thought they kept the animals fed and cared for until they were adopted.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 AM

We have a "no kill" shelter along with the others. The length of time depends on the area. My brother's dog was put down in three days, others a couple of weeks. The problem with "no kill" is they are limited in the number of spaces.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

He is back this morning. He is so pretty. I put some more chicken out and I have never seen a cat eat so fast. Here is a pic of him, it doesn't show exactly how skinny he is. This morning he just growled at me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87853.jpe  
Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

unfortunately if they are not adopted they will be put down. As it is right now a dumped pet is dying a slow death by starvation and that is not right either. Atleast if they were put in a shelter they would have a better chance of survival and maybe get a new home. It makes me sick to think of an animal starving to death.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Over the years I have had 6 kittens that had been dumped, I have 4 at the moment. years ago a poodle was dumped somewhere and made his way to my neighborhood and I had him for about 8-9 yr.s I will never understand why people dump animals, they don't always find good people to taked them in and take care of them.
All my cats have been neutered,declawed, and never outside.
I have a big dog that an old couple did not take good care of, we have given him a great life.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM

Some of you have seen pics of how isolated I'am on this country road, and we get literally tons of pets dumped out here! I get so mad! Even litters of kittens and puppies! At one time I had 12 stray cats outside to feed. It broke my heart to call the animal control center! I just couldn't possibly take care of them all!
Would they dump their kids off if they were hard to potty train or.......!!! Oh don't get me started! I could rant and rave! Bless those of you who love and take care of your pets and help those less unfortunate critters!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
He is back this morning. He is so pretty. I put some more chicken out and I have never seen a cat eat so fast. Here is a pic of him, it doesn't show exactly how skinny he is. This morning he just growled at me.
That almost looks like the little one that's been around here.
And I'm in Minnesota.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by cjomomma
That almost looks like the little one that's been around here.
And I'm in Minnesota.
If I could keep him I would in a heart beat but I would be breaking my lease agreement.