Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why do ppl dump their pets? >

Why do ppl dump their pets?

Why do ppl dump their pets?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 AM

All of our sweet furbabies have been rescued or dumped on us. We only have 3 right now. They are all very loved and spoiled. One furbaby has very long white fur with patches of gray. He sheds like there is no tomorrow. The calico is the sweetest, most loving girl. When my granddaughter (who is 4) is not here, she cries and mopes til she comes home. She is crazy about DGD.

This same kitty sometimes decides she doesn't like to use the litter box, doesn't matter if it is clean or dirty. We have to keep puppy pads by the litter box for her. It drives me batty but she is part of our family. I could never dump her. It would be like dumping off my child.

My DD's cat is an orange and white tabby. She is just a sweetie also.

All of our babies are fixed and NEVER are let outside. That may seem cruel, but I know where babies are.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
unfortunately if they are not adopted they will be put down. As it is right now a dumped pet is dying a slow death by starvation and that is not right either. Atleast if they were put in a shelter they would have a better chance of survival and maybe get a new home. It makes me sick to think of an animal starving to death.
It really depends on the rescue. Mine is considered a sanctuary, because if they are not adopted, they live with me until they pass away. Most shelters just cannot keep up, and must euthanize. There are several no-kill rescues in our area who get all of their dogs from the pound, before they can be euthanized.

It's incredibly expensive to rescue on a large scale. Even with the adoption fees and fundraisers, Jim and I spent about 3500. out of pocket last year, between surgeries, the regular vet bills, travel, food, heartworm meds, etc.

Many people think we just get free dogs and charge to adopt them out, without thinking about the cost behind that. If any of you can help out a rescue near you, I urge you to do so. We, like many others, are always always always in need of foster homes to care for our babies and teach them to be pets while they wait for their forever homes.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Now the poor baby has decided I'm his mommy. What do I do? I can't have pets here. Any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Kas

I don't know why people do this. I do know that it is important to be sure they are abandoned before taking them to the shelter. Our 19 year old cat with kidney disease was very skinny. He had been gaining weight with a new food, but a "helpful" neighbor saw him walking in the neighborhood and took him home. When her geriatric cat had a fit about it, she took him to the pound! She put up signs about him after she dumped him, all alone, scared, and without his special food. When I called her and found out she had done that, I was livid. It cost me $90 to get him out of jail where they revaccinated him with everything! He stopped eating after that. Another $200 later spent at the vet trying to get him back to his normal self didn't work. We had to have him put to sleep. All this while my dad was dying 2000 miles away. I should have sent her the vet and pound bills. I still feel like she killed my cat.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Now the poor baby has decided I'm his mommy. What do I do? I can't have pets here. Any suggestions?
If you can't keep him, you need to use a cat trap and catch him, and then take to Animal Control. Most of the humane organizations will lend cat traps. Call around. Better he gets to a shelter for possible adoption than living wild, being fed out of your back door.

I have had nothing but shelter adopted and abandoned cats and dogs for my whole life. I have several cats at a time, most found wandering as kittens or strays who adopt me, and we have 4 dogs, 2 came from rescues, 1 was a stray, and 1 came from a home breeder (questionable situation!). All are spayed/neutered. I used to feed ferral/stray cats at my other house (at one time I had 17 coming to eat), but someone in our neighborhood complained to Animal Control, and they came and trapped them all, including my own pets. I had to go bail them out of the shelter. And I got a lecture instead of a Thanks for feeding the strays. I don't do it any more.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

We contacted animal control but got no response from them. I haven't seen the cat in a couple of days so I am hoping he found a home or went back home. I just hope some wild animal didn't get him. If I could have only have kept him.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

my 2nd cousin lived in Spring Branch (in Houston,Tx) and would go out twice a day to two different locations and feed the feral cats. not all were feral. some just no longer had a home. she was in her 80's when she passed away. such a wonderful loving lady.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

People who dump their pets are people I will not be in the same room with. They are disgusting, loathsome and deserve every bad thing that could possibly happen to them in life.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 PM

I saw a dog die by inches on my road. I tried calling the animal control people repeatedly and they said they would come by but they never did. My DD and I saw this dog every day. It would not accept food or water from us and the first few days chased every dark truck that passed on our not very busy road. After a few days it would only raise it's head and after that it would hardly even look. My husband was out of town at the time and I was not able to gather up the courage to go shoot it. After 10 days it died. I wrote a furious and moving letter to the editor of our local paper about our ordeal and several people responded but I think that was like preaching to the choir. Some time ago, I had a student tell me that his father and he had dropped a dog off on a secluded road "near a farm" and I almost lost it. I called the parent up and let him have it. I think he probably thought I was nuts. I was almost in tears after talking to him but I don't think it did any good. Although his kid never said anything stupid like that to me again (I don't think he dared.)I am so saddened by man's inhumanity to other creatures on this planet. My other gripe is when some fool tells me that they are "letting their cat have kittens so that the kids can see how nature works" Aargh!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Years ago, we were "chosen" by this malnourished scraggly looking little dog. He had been dumped somewhere along the long road where our house was. We trapped him in a live trap thing. I took him to the vet the next day, they told me he was days away from death due to no food.He had one of those chips in him, but was unable to locate the owner, or so the person who answered the phone says.
So we kept him, he lived with us for several years until he passed away. We named him Little man, because he looked like a little old man with a scraggly beard.