Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
why do quilters love cats?? >

why do quilters love cats??

why do quilters love cats??

Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM

I had to laugh when I saw this. My interest in quilting is very new, and nearly obsessive and my perplexed husband asked me the other day if we were going to be getting a cat. I had no idea what he was talking about and he explained that *everyone* knows that quilters love cats. I'd never heard that before -- see how much I have still to learn about quilting? ;) In fact, I am a total dog person and extremely allergic to cats. I hope I can still make it as a quilter!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I love my cats. And they love my quilts. :-D :-D :-D
Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
I don't want to scoop cat litter
We have one of those self-cleaning kitty-loos. Once the deposit has been made, an automatic sensor starts the motor and a rake picks up the clumps and lifts it into a plastic container. When the container is full - of course, that has to be replaced. I'm so glad Pat doesn't mind.

Actually, we have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse. Not sure how the horse feels about quilting.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

You haven't made your horse a quilt yet?? :shock:
Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM

I use to be a cat and dog person until I became alergic to cats in my 20s after raising persians for years . So now I am a dog person.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Nope, don't scoop the litterbox either, that's what kids are for. I will, however scoop if no one else is home.
I had one of those new fangled litterboxes that scooped and then the stuff went down the toilet. Thing costs about $300, but it was given to me. I hooked it up and my cats wouldn't go near it, the sound scared them, so I gave it away to a friend who absolutely loves it.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by bibiche
I had to laugh when I saw this. My interest in quilting is very new, and nearly obsessive and my perplexed husband asked me the other day if we were going to be getting a cat. I had no idea what he was talking about and he explained that *everyone* knows that quilters love cats. I'd never heard that before -- see how much I have still to learn about quilting? ;) In fact, I am a total dog person and extremely allergic to cats. I hope I can still make it as a quilter!
Have no fear, dogs small ones love to get on sewing table etc. just can't be as rock steady as a cat can,so unless I had a large one I was quilting the dogs usually left me alone,but when on the floor they could curl up on them and I would have to make the move so I could move quilt. Large ones, are smart they jus wait for you to get finished with it and then claim it as theirs. I have special place for Mesha my toy poodle to get. a pad of fleece on a bin so she can look out the window. I really don't like for my animals to be with me when I am sewing cause they will pickup pins and needles on foot pads,puppies and some dogs will pick them up and swallow them.
You still will be a great quilter even without a cat.
BillsBonBon
Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 AM

I think the cats love our fabric more then we do.! All my cats over the years and these 2 here sure do. I was up last night late ironing my sons jeans and watching a movie and Smile -my granddaughter named him that bez he smiled at her the first time she looked at him. isn't that cute - he would go to the office desk and get a marker and carry it under the diningroom table - I'd take it from him and he would go get another. I know this has nothing to do with quilts - when I do get my patches out they are right in the middle and will steal them. Every time I am sitting and talking on the phone Sparky (he was found under a burning brush pile) will push the phone from my face --I think cats and quilts go together like needle and thread.....
Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Banned

I love dogs, cats, birds. ALL ANIMALS
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I love dogs, cats, birds. ALL ANIMALS
I do to Bev. Cats love to put their scent on anything around them to let other cats know this is theirs. That is why they rub thier cheels against you. They have scent glands there. When my DDs were kids,We had a goat,sheep,calf,ducks,chickens,shetland pony,horses,dogs,cats,hampsters,tropical fish,baby raccoon. Our house was the one will you take this animal it is getting so big for my yard. or MOM Please let me bring this cat home from school the kids are picking on it and Prin.said I could have it if I could get it home. She rode the bus. I said ok knowing she couldn't get it on the bus. They let her take it from class to class,she was in middle school,guess what teacher brought her home. First Cat in our home,Black as pitch no white, his name was Ralph, a lot more after that.
I loved them all and they taught my Daughters some life lessons.
BillsBonBon