Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why have you chosen to sew quilts? >

Why have you chosen to sew quilts?

Why have you chosen to sew quilts?

Old 12-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

i was introduced to quilting, sewing and chrotching and knitting at a very early age (3). i was taught to sew a button to fabric, and i could keep the button. it was a slow go at first. i remember not going down into the hole, but around it, and the fabric would ball up, and i'd have to take it out. i could cast on knitting. my grandma gave me large red plastic knitting needles. i'd hold them under my arm pits, and knit with her and the neighbors at night after dinner. At about 6-7 i learned to sew yo yos. First i put them together to make a doll throw, i hated dolls, so i made them bigger. then how to make a clown with them. I always sewed my own cloths, and had bags of scraps.So the next idea was a quilt. i had no one to teach me, and never knew of books, so i winged it on my own. I was doing quilt as you go, and all by hand. it's just recently that i machine quilted about 5 quilts on my friends LA machine. I've had about 5 quilts sent out. One was my big 2" 60 degree diamond quilt, put together with white inbetween aqua stars. Her quilting was amazing. it was all sea life, and took 2nd best quilt at the first show i entered. the second quilt i entered, same show, was all hexes bright colors on a white background. the dog bones were the hexes. in the lower corner was an appliqued dog. It took me 8 hrs to tie and cut 8 colors of brown, beige, greys about 1" long to be the fur on the dog. what a headache. I quilted it on a friens machine, in a dog bone design. the machine ate the quilt in the bottom row. I said not to worry, i put some more bright bones over it. what a happy ending.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:57 PM

I sew in general. I work on quilts, but do just about anything that involves a needle and thread, cross stitch, garmet making, etc. I got hooked many years ago and can't imagine giving it up.