Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why have you chosen to sew quilts? >

Why have you chosen to sew quilts?

Why have you chosen to sew quilts?

Old 11-21-2019, 04:55 PM

I grew up with my mom always sewing, she sewed lots of special things for me as I grew up. When I was in high school she had her own leather clothing business, along with mending and repairing leather items for people. My maternal grandmother had a crafting business which included sewn items. So the creative bug comes to me through genetics. I have done lots of different crafty things, from henna tattooing as a business, dried floral wreaths and arrangements, crotcheting, etc.... to special dresses for my daughter when she was a toddler, all without a pattern, but all involved my creative bug. My first sewing machine was a dressmaker that I bought at our local thrift shop for $3, I still have and still use it for certain projects. My creative bug evolved into quilting and I soon became addicted, there are so many different creative aspects of it, from finding a pattern to picking the fabrics for it, to the quilting of it once sandwhiched. And as you know there are so many skills and different techniques that can be done with the end result becoming a quilt. Quilt shows offer many other options to try that aren't a quilt, but do involve sewing and being creative. With a passion to create and share my creations, I see sewing and quilting for many years to come.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:33 PM

I always liked to sew clothes, and do different needlework. I liked quilts, but didn't have anybody to ask or show me how to even start one. Then fast forward to retiring, and found a shop that offered classes. My DH will even take an interest in shops and quilt shows.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:54 PM

because I've sewn since about 9yrs old and I prefer quilting because it allows me to be creative (I couldn't imagine making clothing without a pattern); I get to play with color and when I quilt it, texture--my 2 favorite things! And there are no zippers or gathers (hopefully!) to deal with
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 PM

My mother made our dresses/shorts/tops when we were little. When I was in high school I figured out real quick that clothes cost a lot of money, but I could make dresses and skirts for a fraction of the cost. I've always loved crafting, and over the years have dabbled in most everything. When my boys were small I made all their shorts and sweats. My best friend has always quilted, and I was really impressed with what she could do. I took the plunge, and have been happily quilting for years. I love making quilts, wall-hangings, ornaments...you name it. I'm a "shiny object" kind of quilter. I see something that sparks my interest, and I have to make it. I usually don't use a pattern, just draw it up and go for it. I love making things for friends, and give most of what I make away. I still like sewing, and do a lot of mending and repairs for family and friends. I love the creativity, and the ability to express myself. I like making something that is unique to me...something that no one else has made exactly like it. I find it soothing and calming and energizing and get great satisfaction from it.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:07 AM

I make quilts because I love to give them away to people who are special to me. They say that I care enough that I spend my time and effort to make a pretty "hug" to keep them warm! And I pray for them as I make the quilt also.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:33 AM

It’s a sense of an accomplishment that is so fulfilling. I’m not creative, I can’t design a quilt pattern. But, just selecting a pattern and a bunch of beautiful fabrics and sewing them together to create something is the ultimate high for me. I hand quilt and that totally relaxes me. Even trying to decide how to quilt it is a thrill. Years ago, the owner of my then favorite LQS told me that quilting is cheaper than going to a psychiatrist. How true. I am so thankful to the lady who introduced me to quilting - about 35 years ago.

Last edited by lberna; 11-22-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 AM

I have sewed all of my life. I grew up with my grandparents and I learned to sew on Mom’s Treadle. She taught me to embroidery though I never learned to tat, crochet or knit. Being a child in a world full of adults I never had children to play with. Pop was a voracious reader and he would always read to me. He read me whatever he was reading.. Emerson’s Essays, Shakespeare, whatever. I didn’t start quilting until my children were grown as I had a very busy career and an awesome husband. I went to visit my mother and she dragged me to her quilt group. Those ladies convinced me I could make a quilt for my soon to be grandchild. So on the way home from her group we stopped at her LQS and I bought a mat, rotary cutter,, a quilt book and fabric. My first quilt was “A Gingham Dog and a Calico Cat”. My grandson is now 16 and that quilt still exists! My husband died in 2008 and I retired in 2009. I Sold our wonderful historic home in NJ and moved to Illinois in order to be close to my grandchildren. I still miss the hustle and bustle of NYC/NJ but I love the country life and my quilting groups and buddies. Quilting has allowed me to meet wonderful people, kept me busy and I keep learning and getting better at my craft. I have made so many quilts and I love donating them to causes I support. ( battered women, abused children and Veterans). I love scrappy quilts and spend the month of January making quilts for my church group.

I will warn you, Quilting has proven to be addictive and I will drop everything to go quilt store shopping with friends. We have checked out every shop within a radius of 200 miles. Our road trips are so much fun and I absolutely love my huge collection of fabric. I really love bus trips and overnight trips to quilt stores with friends. My FIL was a textile expert and he taught me so much about fabrics and colors. This has been a great experience for me and I hope I can keep on quilting for the rest of my life.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:06 AM

My sewing started as necessity. 16, pregnant and sew or go naked, back then the price of fabric was much more reasonable. Sewed for my girls as they were growing up, not so much for my self, never could get the fit right by myself. Taught myself to crochet. Did some painting. When my Mom passed, I was cleaning her sewing room, found some squares she had hand cut. She sewed charity quilts with her church group. They cut all their blocks with an unmarked glass square, drew around the edges and cut with scissors. Our oldest grandson was the "first born" everything and I wanted to make a quilt with her squares. I signed up to take a class but couldn't wait for it to start, Sewed the squares together, that wasn't too difficult. Purchased batting and backing. Didn't know how to quilt or I did some hand quilting and some embroidery. Brought the backing to the front and sewed it down. Do not look at the corners LOL!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620059[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620060[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620062[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails corey.jpg   062.jpg   corey2.jpg   corey3.jpg  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 AM
anonymous

A creative outlet is a necessity for me, and quilting fills that need. Ohh, the colors!! It is all about colors and how I can put them together. Piecing is like a puzzle and I get a lot of satisfaction when they all come together. I love pointy points and seams that meet. And mostly, it is mine. No quilt police. I can work fast or slow, my choice. Once the quilt is finished, I am ready to let it go. I am very happy if my quilt and canmake somebody feel loved.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:28 AM

I love making things. The first time I sewed was in High School Home Economics classes and we only made clothes. I didn't start quilting until I was in my fifties because I thought quilts had to be made by hand and I didn't think I would have the patience to make anything that large by hand. When I found out you could use the sewing machine to quilt a sandwich I couldn't start fast enough. I also crochet, knit, embroider, weave, and cross stitch.