Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wild Fires in south central Kanas >

Wild Fires in south central Kanas

Wild Fires in south central Kanas

Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 PM

We have family in Hutchinson Kansas. As far as we know they are safe.

Prayers sent to your family as well as all who are affected by this.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:19 PM

Just heard from my sis tonight--only about 15% contained--wind keeps blowing (always does in KS!) and shifting direction and despite rain in east KS yesterday (my house) and snow out in western KS earlier in the week, they haven't gotten any precipitation at all. Talk of evacuating Kiowa, KS but since the entire town is surrounded by wheat fields, it's save for now.
(winter wheat--which is what is grown in KS, is planted in Sept and "over winters" and really starts growing now and harvest in June when it turns golden).
Only a couple of house totally burnt down, but concern is that the firefights are exhausted, leading to mistakes being make and someone potentially getting harmed. Prayers, please!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Check this site for quilt guilds in Kansas; scroll down a bit for the list and contact info.
http://www.quiltguilds.com/kansas.htm
We are having some forest fires in this part of Virginia, too, due to very dry weather and winds, but, so far, not so big or serious. Best wishes for your state.

Jan in VA
Old 03-25-2016, 09:04 PM

My prayers are with every one involved with these wild fires. How devastating to lose not only your home but your livestock as well. Please keep us posted. I haven't heard anything about it on the news.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:53 AM

I wish we would hear on the national news more about what is happening in other parts of the country. Take care all of you affected.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:16 AM

I believe Kansas is getting much needed rain today........they are in my prayers.....half of our ranch in TX burned a few yrs. Ago..lost alot.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Praying for the safety of all and a lot of rain in that area.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:03 AM

Praying for all in Ks. and Ok. And yes, Thursday morning the smoke from the fires was seen and smelled in Springfield, Mo. The winds have died down here in SW Mo. so are hoping that they have in Ks and Ok. Please keep safe and let us know how we can help.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Check this site for quilt guilds in Kansas; scroll down a bit for the list and contact info.
http://www.quiltguilds.com/kansas.htm
We are having some forest fires in this part of Virginia, too, due to very dry weather and winds, but, so far, not so big or serious. Best wishes for your state.

Jan in VA
thanks Jan for this info--there is a guild in Medicine Lodge, the town in the center of the fire, and I will purpose at my next Guild meeting in a couple of weeks, that we send down disaster quilts for the 6 families that have lost their homes and everything in it.

The fire is (as of Sat. afternoon) 30% contained in Barbour Co and almost totally in Comanche Co--the winds have died back to about 15mph which has allowed the KS National Guard to bring in helicopters with capabilities of gathering water from ponds and dumping on the front edges and into those canyon places that firefighters can't easily get to by vehicle or foot. While they did not get the rain last night or this morning that the fell east of the fires, they may get some tonight
Farmers throughout the state have trucked in hay and now the call is for donations to the farm associations to pay for fencing (not covered by any insurances). Unfortunately, smaller fires have broken out in other parts of the state (further west and around the Hutchinson/Newton area). Making headway,but still very scary! For those of us that live in the Plains and rely upon volunteer fire dept that often have to cover a huge area, wild fires are so very scary (even more than tornadoes!)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 PM

So sorry for the tragedy! There were fires here in Texas panhandle this week, but they are out now. Many were threatened and a lot of farms and grassland were destroyed. It came very close to towns, but the brave efforts of fire depts and all the volunteers kept them safe! Bless all the ones who work so tirelessly!!