Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wild Fires in south central Kanas

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wild Fires in south central Kanas

My sis lives in south central KS and they have been battling wild fires that started in OK over the weekend and have been whipped out of control by the 40mph winds we've been dealing with in KS since Monday.
    So far it has consumed at least 400,000 acres (and some estimates say 700,000), and the farms, livestock and anything in that 400,000acres. The town of Medicine Lodge,KS is threatened and has a voluntary evac.

Part of it is in the Gypsum Hills, which are pretty rugged and make it harder to combat. Most of the firefighting is being done by volunteer fire departments with the aid of oil field workers and high school students along with the ranching communities. It is NOT under control yet.

In my county further north, we give a "fire" quilt to any family that has a fire and I'd love to see the quilt guilds in KS all come together to do the same for these "neighbors". Does anyone have an idea on how to contact all the guilds in KS?

Blog Entries
    Hope your family and the rest in the area stay safe.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Oh my goodness, my dad and step-mom are in Hutchinson, KS, and I have a cousin and her family in Burlington. Praying all of the people in the path of the fires stay safe.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

First I'm hearing......pray no lives are lost.....

No one has lost their lives yet, just a lot of farm ground, cattle and farm animals. My daughter lives at Pratt, just north of the fire, and she has posted numerous pictures of Pratt and surrounding, and it is very devastating for many of the farmers/ranchers. There were/are a couple of small towns in it's path. We just continue to hope and pray that they get it under control soon. They have fire depts. from all over Kansas and surrounding states come and help. It is now going into day 3 and many firefighters have gone 24-48 hrs with no sleep. We are about 2 1/2 hours north and we can smell the smoke outside.

Oh my! Prayers for all involved!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

If I were trying to contact someone, I would do it on my search engine.....Like maybe quilt guild in (name of town)

My grandparents were from central Kansas just north of Abilene. I would go to Google and search for any LQS because they would probably know.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I suggest contacting Peggy, the owner of Hen Feathers in Wichita. She is a long time shop owner and may know.

Blog Entries
    thanks all for the suggestions. The fire is still going unfortunately. My sis says they are using her county's fairground buildings (next county east) to provide a staging area for the workers, a sleep place for those that are dead on their feet, food and supply place.
    Sure not many outside KS and OK and MO (they are getting the smoke in SW MO) are even aware of this as it's mostly farm/ranch country so few houses and towns threatened. My sis said that one couple lost their house and all out buildings and their livestock. Hay is needed for the cattle and horses that were able to be moved out of the way (some was lost) as the fields, which will green up quickly once any rain is received--but it is a very dry area--but in meantime nothing to feed animals. Unfortunately, we had just sold the rest of our last year's hay the week before

We have family in Hutchinson Kansas. As far as we know they are safe.

Prayers sent to your family as well as all who are affected by this.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    Just heard from my sis tonight--only about 15% contained--wind keeps blowing (always does in KS!) and shifting direction and despite rain in east KS yesterday (my house) and snow out in western KS earlier in the week, they haven't gotten any precipitation at all. Talk of evacuating Kiowa, KS but since the entire town is surrounded by wheat fields, it's save for now.
    (winter wheat--which is what is grown in KS, is planted in Sept and "over winters" and really starts growing now and harvest in June when it turns golden).
    Only a couple of house totally burnt down, but concern is that the firefights are exhausted, leading to mistakes being make and someone potentially getting harmed. Prayers, please!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Check this site for quilt guilds in Kansas; scroll down a bit for the list and contact info.
    http://www.quiltguilds.com/kansas.htm
    We are having some forest fires in this part of Virginia, too, due to very dry weather and winds, but, so far, not so big or serious. Best wishes for your state.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

My prayers are with every one involved with these wild fires. How devastating to lose not only your home but your livestock as well. Please keep us posted. I haven't heard anything about it on the news.

I wish we would hear on the national news more about what is happening in other parts of the country. Take care all of you affected.

I believe Kansas is getting much needed rain today........they are in my prayers.....half of our ranch in TX burned a few yrs. Ago..lost alot.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Praying for the safety of all and a lot of rain in that area.

Praying for all in Ks. and Ok. And yes, Thursday morning the smoke from the fires was seen and smelled in Springfield, Mo. The winds have died down here in SW Mo. so are hoping that they have in Ks and Ok. Please keep safe and let us know how we can help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Check this site for quilt guilds in Kansas; scroll down a bit for the list and contact info.
    http://www.quiltguilds.com/kansas.htm
    We are having some forest fires in this part of Virginia, too, due to very dry weather and winds, but, so far, not so big or serious. Best wishes for your state.

Jan in VA
    thanks Jan for this info--there is a guild in Medicine Lodge, the town in the center of the fire, and I will purpose at my next Guild meeting in a couple of weeks, that we send down disaster quilts for the 6 families that have lost their homes and everything in it.

The fire is (as of Sat. afternoon) 30% contained in Barbour Co and almost totally in Comanche Co--the winds have died back to about 15mph which has allowed the KS National Guard to bring in helicopters with capabilities of gathering water from ponds and dumping on the front edges and into those canyon places that firefighters can't easily get to by vehicle or foot. While they did not get the rain last night or this morning that the fell east of the fires, they may get some tonight
    Farmers throughout the state have trucked in hay and now the call is for donations to the farm associations to pay for fencing (not covered by any insurances). Unfortunately, smaller fires have broken out in other parts of the state (further west and around the Hutchinson/Newton area). Making headway,but still very scary! For those of us that live in the Plains and rely upon volunteer fire dept that often have to cover a huge area, wild fires are so very scary (even more than tornadoes!)

Blog Entries
    So sorry for the tragedy! There were fires here in Texas panhandle this week, but they are out now. Many were threatened and a lot of farms and grassland were destroyed. It came very close to towns, but the brave efforts of fire depts and all the volunteers kept them safe! Bless all the ones who work so tirelessly!!

Well the snowfall this morning should put an end to things.
    I am not perfect and I do not make perfect quilts.
    I do make quilts with love and they are meant to be loved.
    If i can transfer those feelings with needle and thread,
    that makes me happy.