Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Will you admit to any one of these descriptions? >

Will you admit to any one of these descriptions?

Will you admit to any one of these descriptions?

Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

my dh says i'm cheap with myself and frugal with others. I have no problem buying gifts for others, but if I can get the same thing for 1/2 price somewhere else, i'll go for it.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 PM

I consider myself frugal and cost- conscious. Can buy more fabric that way.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:58 PM

I am cost conscious! I like a good bargain, and love using coupons. Based on my family experience, cheap and miserly drive me up a wall. One of my brothers is so cheap he squeaks, and it is embarrassing to be with him in public. If there is a free sample/give-away, he wants a dozen, and wants me to grab a dozen more! My other brother just won't part with a nickel unless he's going to get change back. Both are well off financially, but would rather someone else pay!! Like Robin said...be prepared for that rainy day!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM

I call myself 'frugal'. My good friend calls herself 'cheap'. I tell her that 'frugal' is 'cheap with class'. Ladies we are ALL classy!
Old 08-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

None of the above describes me. I need to watch my spending closer. I really don't buy anything I don't want or need. I just to think about it more to make sure I really want it.

Oh well, you can take it with you. If you don't spend it someone else will.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 PM

I would say I am frugal. I buy during good sales over 30% off, & I buy from thrift shops & GoodWill. Most of my purchases come to $30.00-$50.00. It helps that my DH's hobbies are more expensive than mine by a lot. He knows me well enough to know that I am careful about prices & he buys me surprises from time to time, so he's aware of the prices out there. If I want something big, I save for it & I saved half the money for my NX2000 sewing machine before my DH knew what I was planning! He put in the rest so I could have it that Christmas!! He's a real keeper!! :-)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 AM

My late sister Harriet was the cheap one in the family...she could squeeze 50 cents out of a buffalo nickle, and if she could convenience me to buy something for her that was the icing on her cake. I miss her so much.
But as to me, if it's something that makes my quilting easier such as templates or thread cones, or a dozen rotary blades I buy it. Sure, I have debt on my credit cards, but the payments are always made a week or two ahead of time and always double or more what my minimum payment calls for. Now I want a long-arm machine so bad I can taste it, so I'll check the internet for best prices. Maybe I'm frugal and extravagent!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:22 AM

Growing up at the tail end of the depression, I would say I am frugal. We save ahead for what we need/want. I don't just buy it when I see something that I would like to have.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:54 AM

I'm somewhere around frugal and cost-conscious.

I drive older vehicles, both have over 200k miles, one is peeling paint horribly and has started to rust. I pull up at work and park between shiny new cars. But, it's paid for, has been so reliable, and I just don't need/want to spend money on something shiny right now (even though it is tempting to drive something shiny sometimes). I don't get it painted because of the fear that the moment I put money into something cosmetic, it will die.

I make my food mostly from scratch. I do most of my own repairs (furnace, water heater, clothing, etc, etc).

However, I do spend money, I just prioritize and spend on things that are more important to me. Being a big saver, I have managed to do a lot of things most peers have not. I bought my first house when I was 19, I go on European vacations (longest so far was a five week trip two years ago), and I buy the good cheese (but still usually at a discount!). I hear a lot of "I wish I could afford that", but it's usually from someone with the nicer car, the nicer house, and the expensive restaurant habit. Of course, even when I travel I try to do so frugally, taking advantage of coupons, discounts, and other ways to save while still enjoying myself.

I also won't sacrifice certain things just to save a little money. I don't buy used shoes (not good for your feet). I will spend a little more on quality when it makes sense. I recently splurged on a portable dishwasher and wish I would have done it years ago!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I'm only cost conscience if it means more then I have to spend. I was raised to never say I can't afford that or say That is too expensive. I have thought those phrases many times but never said them. When I go shopping I know what my spendable income is for the month.