Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this >

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
BMP

I dont shop on Holidays and feel people should boycott some of this insane stuff.
There is nothing any of us need that badly that stores need to be open on holidays.
Its bad enough what 'Black Friday" has turned into, another shopping frenzy I refuse to be a part of too.
I remember Sunday Blue Law, we all survived !!!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Oh, my! While I, selfishly, am glad that some restaurants and gas station/convenience stores are open on Thanksgiving Day, I really do not approve of the department stores opening. It is yet another intrusion upon our families.

I know several people who do the 'Black Friday' thing but, I am not one of them. In fact, I kind of chuckle as I sit in my recliner at about 8am on Friday morning with my cup of coffee and newspaper. Sometimes we run out later in the day...but not really to shop. This year my daughter has made the appt for noon for her bridesmaids to pick out their dresses at the wedding store. Then we will do lunch and I will go back home.

The older I get, the more weary I am of the commercial side of Christmas. I hate to see people go on a spending frenzy of money that many really cannot afford to be spending.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM

i heard on the news today, that Kohls will be open at 3am!
that is jut crazy!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 PM

I was a retail store manager for 18 years before leaving to care for my family. My employees worked very hard for little pay, it would sadden me to demand they work on a holiday like Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter. Thank you for the post, I will make a point to not shop Old Navy, Sears, or the Gap this year, I haven't shopped KMart for years because they have been open Thanksgiving for years.
I have to confess though, I loved working Black Friday, loved the crowds, and while you may have had a crabby customer here or there, for the most part people were having fun and enjoyed the bargain shopping. One of the first things I did after leaving retail was shop a Black Friday with my Mom and my sister. It was the first year I could ever do that, and had a blast. I don't do it anymore, crowds aren't worth a bargan, and now that stores are open even earlier theres no way I'm going to wake that early for a bargain. The year I did it stores opened at 6:00 and I thought that was insane, but did it!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM

I have never shopped on Black Friday, feel to fight the huge crowds not worth it. It is just another sign of our bad economy, retailers not making money they need to open more to do so, and people trying to get as much they can with less money to spend. Though in many of my jobs over the years I have had to work holidays. Some at least I was paid extra. It is unfortunate but someone has to be there in case you need gas, or fast food or just your morning coffee! What about those in the hospitals, fire and police? I feel bad they have to be away from their families, yet would not like to be without them. With so much unemployment, a lot of people would be happy to work any day. I do understand your point, my son also has to work on Thanksgiving day. We have adjusted our plans to his hours.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 PM

My hubby works every Thanksgiving. I'm ok with it he makes like $35/hr just for that one day!! I am going on Friday BUT!!!!! I am going to a fabric store that opens @ 8am and they are having 50%off their entire store!!
And I'm sorry but what the he-double hockey sticks could Sears possibly have that I need on turkey day!!?? Do they have a 'super sears' have they started selling groceries next to the pipe wrenches??
Old 11-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Here is some more from the blog

"Unlike professions such a law enforcement, fire and medical whose employees work on holidays to provide needed emergency services to protect and save life, there is no pressing civil need to sell retail merchandise. People who choose to be firemen, police or nurses and doctors do so knowing they will be called upon to leave family on holidays for the greater good of their community’s residents. There is no redeeming social value to a retail business being open exchanging goods for dollars on a holiday. The argument can be made that there is a negative social value as the holiday becomes nothing more than another commercialized, frenzied shopping day."
Old 11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

build the soap box bigger and better and louder. PLEASE
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM
BMP

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Here is some more from the blog

"Unlike professions such a law enforcement, fire and medical whose employees work on holidays to provide needed emergency services to protect and save life, there is no pressing civil need to sell retail merchandise. People who choose to be firemen, police or nurses and doctors do so knowing they will be called upon to leave family on holidays for the greater good of their community’s residents. There is no redeeming social value to a retail business being open exchanging goods for dollars on a holiday. The argument can be made that there is a negative social value as the holiday becomes nothing more than another commercialized, frenzied shopping day."
AMEN !!!!!! Very well said. :thumbup:
Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 PM

What a sad testament to our society. We can't go one day without spending our hard earned money. What has happened to just being with and enjoying our families, reading books, walking in the woods, enjoying our hobbies? We want to live longer, but can't entertain ourselves for one day without the ability to go shopping. Shame on us, Shame on us.