Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this >

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

Old 11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
BMP

Originally Posted by grammyp
What a sad testament to our society. We can't go one day without spending our hard earned money. What has happened to just being with and enjoying our families, reading books, walking in the woods, enjoying our hobbies? We want to live longer, but can't entertain ourselves for one day without the ability to go shopping. Shame on us, Shame on us.
:thumbup:
Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM

I just read Toys R Us is opening at 10pm Thanksgiving evening!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

If I recall correctly, K-Mart started this awful trend many years ago. It was just a matter of time 'til the others followed suit. I think it's grossly unfair to all the employees to have to work those God awful hours. I wonder if all those consumers rushing to get their bargains ever stop to think how the holiday has been ruined for those people who had to give up so much to "serve" them. There is absolutely NO reason on earth why stores have to be open on Thanksgiving. It's the one holiday just about everyone celebrates in one form or another. My daughter is a doctor and will be working, but that and certain other professions are exceptions. They are necessary to our health and well-being. But shopping? Let's get real. And I don't agree that it's a sign of the bad economy. This has been going on for several years. It's a sign of greedy retailers and ignorant public. Once K-Mart pulled that I never stepped foot in that store again. The following year, a local appliance store opened on Thanksgiving, and I've never been back there either. I'd like to boycott ALL the stores doing this, but I doubt that will be possible. It's a sad commentery on life that folks are so wrapped up in shopping that we can't all take one day to enjoy family and friends and give thanks for all we have. I have lots more to say, but I'll get off the soapbox now!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

This is so sad. The way they went about it is just wrong. I manage a C-store in our small town and I know that our customers "expect" us to be open all the time, every holiday and no matter what the weather is doing. The bad part is that they do not appreciate us when we are open on the holidays or when the weather is so bad that no one can get around. We will be open on Thanksgiving but as manager I asked if anyone "wanted" to work since we pay time and a half for holidays and I was lucky enough to find enough to cover all the shifts.
The only day of the year we are closed is Christmas Day. And I will hear about it for about a week before and a week after about "how selfish it was for us to close". Excuse me! We all want to spend the day with our families too. I have worked for this business for 16 years and until 6 years ago we were open on Christmas as well. Did any of these folks appreciate us for that. NO! So 6 years ago all the employees got together and we refused to work that day. The owners were not happy about that at all so we told them they were more than welcome to work that day and needless to say we have been closed ever since.
Last winter we had a blissard at Christmas time that started the day before and lasted until the day after Christmas that shut the whole area down. When the snow stopped we had over 2 feet of snow and no one was going anywhere anytime soon. We were open Christmas eve until 7 pm and closed on Christmas and on Saturday morning when we were to open again none of my employees could get to work. Since I live 2 houses away from the C-store I grabbed my big coat and my boots and fought my way thru big drifts and went over on my day off and got the store open. We were to open at 6 am but the owner said to wait til daylight so I did. I was open at 7:15 and the first person that came in chewed me out because we were not open at 6 am! I told them be happy I was there at all since it was my day off.
So after 16 years of doing this job I can tell you that the younger folks expect you to be open and that's it. They don't care if it's a holiday. I too remember when everything was closed on holidays and also on Sundays. Too bad we aren't still that way.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:21 PM

I decided years ago, that there is NOTHING in any store (other than grocery store) that requires me to go out on Tgiving, Christmas, or Black Friday. One year, I had to run to the grocery store on Thanksgiving -- I took a plate of fudge for everyone that worked that day --- boy did I get good service after that!!! :)
Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
JJs
Banned

http://www.thehistoryofchristmas.com/ch/in_america.htm

retailers are the main reason for all the 'buy buy buy' hysteria that grips the country on Black Friday - along with commercials that cater to children so they 'want want want'...

I have never been able to figure out what santa has to do with with "Christ's Mass"

Have you noticed that children have halloween parties at school to celebrate satan but can't have Christmas parties and programs any more? It's all about a 'winter festival'....

Let's not even discuss the fact the Jesus wasn't even born in December!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 PM

We have a huge Christmas Crafts Fair that runs the weekend of Thanksgiving and the following weekend. It is a fun thing to buy Holly, wreaths homemade cider, fresh donuts, family made gifts, etc. It is in Frederick, MD. Thats where I will be, cider cup in hand, strolling while the musicians play wonderful music. ( and then home to sew)
Old 11-23-2010, 05:42 PM

When I was in high school (back when stores were closed Sundays!) I worked in retail. I had to work the Fourth of July. As I was ringing up a customer, she said she thought itwas terrible we had to work on a holiday. I told her that if she wouldn't be there, we wouldn't have to be either. I'm lucky I wasn't fired.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:48 PM

WE went through the same thing at the place I worked a few years back but the day we HAD to work was Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day. Can you imagine the Roar. There were people that had many years of service who wait all year to have that time off and then 2 weeks before Christmas the big ugly CEO gave the demands. Every employee had to sign in and out with a 2 hour minimum stay. UGLY. The CEO was in his house in ARizona and couldn't possibly get back to come into work in Chicago. It only happened once........
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM

I shop online ,no way I am getting out in that nonsence!