wind and the birds

Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I've never thought of this before today.....

It's quite windy here this afternoon, rattling the siding on this old cottage, ripping the towels off the line, scudding the clouds across the sky, whipping up whitecaps on the pond. I just saw a huge Turkey Buzzard walking along the fence line in the pasture -- hunting, I'm sure -- and I wondered if he's on the ground looking for food because it's too hard to fly and hunt in this wind. :?:

Jan in VA
Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 AM

What a picture that would of made!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Jan the other day my dog was in the yard and I looked up and there were at least 25 turkey buzzards. I live in the city!! They are so awesome to watch but it was kind of scarey. It was pretty windy and they seemed to just all be floating around and around in circles. Now this is a really stupid question (be kind, I'm a city girl)--would they grab and eat my dog? I made him come in because I was kind of creeped out by them. They all left at the same time.
Patches (he came with that name) is about 65 pounds and pretty meaty-looking. Do you think they were eying him for their dinner?
Peace-from another Jan
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Buzzards don't kill they eat carrion. Other birds of prey might try to nab a dog but at 65 lbs hes probably way too big to worry very much. I have a couple of small dogs (under 10 lbs)and I do watch when the birds of prey are active.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM

I've found that while in the country, when I see a bunch of buzzards circling around, that means they've spotted something
lying still enough to be dead. When they're convinced it's dead, they will start landing.

Due to tender stomachs, I won't go any further.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
Buzzards don't kill they eat carrion. Other birds of prey might try to nab a dog but at 65 lbs hes probably way too big to worry very much. I have a couple of small dogs (under 10 lbs)and I do watch when the birds of prey are active.
-------------------------------------
And then there's the huge Giant Horned Owl, he can grab a big rabbit on the run and fly off with it. Small ones like cats and dogs probably, but haven't spoken to anyone who lost one of their fur kids that way.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 AM

When we 1st moved to FL I went to go pick up the trash cans outside that had been picked up. I opened the front door and my hand to God there were birds EVERYWHERE. Little ones, big ones and all in between. They were covering the front yard, in trees in the woods on both sides of the house and across the street and on the power lines. None of them moved when I stepped outside. I felt like I was in Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds.' I thought twice about going to the end of the driveway but did. Not one of them moved or made a sound. I brought the cans up to the garage door and left them and high tailed it into the house. Strange, never saw anything like that before or since.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
When we 1st moved to FL I went to go pick up the trash cans outside that had been picked up. I opened the front door and my hand to God there were birds EVERYWHERE. Little ones, big ones and all in between. They were covering the front yard, in trees in the woods on both sides of the house and across the street and on the power lines. None of them moved when I stepped outside. I felt like I was in Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds.' I thought twice about going to the end of the driveway but did. Not one of them moved or made a sound. I brought the cans up to the garage door and left them and high tailed it into the house. Strange, never saw anything like that before or since.
Maybe they were your welcoming committee HeeHee
Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Reminds me of the turkey buzzard my dogs found in the backyard last spring. . .Poor thing was in bad shape. I called a bird rescue place and the lady who dealt with turkey buzzards asked me to catch him and keep him in the garage overnight, because she didn't have a way to pick him up until the next day-poor husband was overhearing all of this when I said, no problem-I'd bring it to her. . .bytheway-how do you catch a turkey buzzard? So-DH was out in the yard with an old blanket, I was following with a wine box, and we cornered it and drove it 15 miles to her house. He was missing a lot of feathers-she said, no problem-the vet would give him implants. . .So-I'd done my good deed for one of God's creatures, and mentioned it to my dad-who told me that I should mind my 3 S's-shoot, shovel and shutup. . .
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
Reminds me of the turkey buzzard my dogs found in the backyard last spring. . .Poor thing was in bad shape. I called a bird rescue place and the lady who dealt with turkey buzzards asked me to catch him and keep him in the garage overnight, because she didn't have a way to pick him up until the next day-poor husband was overhearing all of this when I said, no problem-I'd bring it to her. . .bytheway-how do you catch a turkey buzzard? So-DH was out in the yard with an old blanket, I was following with a wine box, and we cornered it and drove it 15 miles to her house. He was missing a lot of feathers-she said, no problem-the vet would give him implants. . .So-I'd done my good deed for one of God's creatures, and mentioned it to my dad-who told me that I should mind my 3 S's-shoot, shovel and shutup. . .
Implants??!! WOW! No kidding! Will have to google that!