Windows Scam

Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 AM

Angry Windows Scam

I know this has been posted before but I just want to make sure everyone is aware of this. I just received a phone call from - Windows 8. The man said he was calling to tell me Windows and Microsoft wanted to let me know the reason my computer was slow, and had other problems was because someone had hacked my computer and it had viruses on it. Wanted to have me turn on my computer(it was already on). So I asked for his information and said I would call back. This is the information I was told.
Company name: 24 Technel Care
Address: 22 Broadway Street, White Plains NY
His stated number: 914 290-4992 ask for Ext.5410
Number on my caller ID: 474 475-1328
Don't be fooled this is not Microsoft. I called Microsoft and reported this. And was told never give information to someone who calls you like this. You have to call them at the official number during normal business hours.
Hope this helps prevent these crooks from getting anyone's personal information.
Judy
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM

If you get one of these calls, (and I am HOPING I do!!) , pretend you are going along with everything they say (don't really do anything to your computer). Then after a few minutes, say - "Wait a minute - something just popped up on my computer screen." They will ask, what does it say?

"It says - WARNING - the person on the other end of the phone is trying to scam you!!"
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM

I've had several of these calls. One caller I told my computer was in the shop, they hung up. Another one said the shop couldn't fix it, only Microsoft. blah, blah,...caller ID said call was from a phone booth?? Weird.... I've several of these calls...have hung up on them.
I know I'm not alone getting these calls.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM

I had a caller tell me my computer needed to be checked because of a nasty Trojan virus. I told him no it didn't, because my brand new computer was still being built.

He hung up on me.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
If you get one of these calls, (and I am HOPING I do!!) , pretend you are going along with everything they say (don't really do anything to your computer). Then after a few minutes, say - "Wait a minute - something just popped up on my computer screen." They will ask, what does it say?

"It says - WARNING - the person on the other end of the phone is trying to scam you!!"
Love this!!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM

I got such a call yesterday. I told him outright this is a scam. He hung up. But another time it was a prank call . Have you gotten one? My son did it. It's prerecorded but sound very realistic with natural pauses in conversation, so i didn't know it was a prank call.

A guy with a thick Indian accent asked if my computer was running slowly. I said yes. (Mind you, I wasn't going to give him any info, but get enough from him to report him. When he became bothersome, i said my son is in IT and can fix any problem. But he THEN said he would be charging my credit card $15 for 45 seconds of professional expertise. I, of course, wasn't thinking how could he without my cc number? And yelled, "oh, no you will not!" And hung up. My son could hear every word and was laughing his head off!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Love this!!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM

This is the best response I have heard... I am going to use this !
Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

That would be a great response.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the heads up!