A word of caution....

Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 AM

I would report that pizza parlor to the Better Business Bureau for fraud.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

They can think of other ways to do this too. I worked in a grocery store and one of the checkers had a photographic memory. When she took a customers card to check if the signatures matches she would flip it over and memorize the number. She didn't do it often but evidently often enough because she was caught. She would use to card to buy things on the internet. It can happen anywhere.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Thank you very much for the heads up.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Even going through a private mail box we had our cards stolen 4 times in 2 years. Now my husband is not the most perfect with the internet and giving his credit card so I had to set up another account for internet orders only or I use a gift visa card for that kind of thing.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM

We have also had our card used fraudulently and were reimbursed for the amount stolen. We put limits on our debit cards after that. My husband's card was the one used - he travels a lot and his card is just out there more - so he has $150 limit for daily use. I put $500 limit on mine. If I need it for more than that I call the bank and have the limit lifted - it's not like I do spur of the moment $500 debits!

Checking your card: My mother and her dear friend look very much alike. At a restaurant they both used the same style credit card and --- were given the wrong card back. For the next 6 months they used each other's card everywhere they went. My mother finally noticed it - and they traded back. The mess to figure out whose charges had really been whose was a struggle. They are often at the same places and spend about the same amount. What amazed all of us was that they used these cards regularly and frequently for 6 months and were NEVER asked for an ID!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 AM

I always put "Check ID" or "Ask for ID" in the signature line on the back - still, some cashiers never ask for ID.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 AM

I have "check ID" in the signature line also and RARELY have anyone ask! When they do I thank them and tell them of my mom and her friend's troubles.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Thank You For Sharing This .
Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 PM

I also have "Check Photo ID" on the back of my credit cards, and I thank the clerks who do ask to see some ID. Those who don't, I remind them of what it means. Family who wear badges say never to sign the cards. I wonder why they still make them and try to have us sign them all the time. They are way too easy to use.

I had gone on vacation for a week and didn't use my card, but when I returned I rec a letter from QVC (is that the TV shopping center?) who said they had called to confirm a sale of a computer but could not get hold of me, so refused it. I right then went down to the bank and they checked, whoever it was had already charged around 300 dollars for computer games, which to my mind spelled teens or twenty guys. I had only used the card twice in the past month or two, so they could check both places easily. No money of mine spent, got it back from the bank. Never did learn what happened to the thieves.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM

My credit card company contacted me when someone in Denmark tried to charge several hundred dollars worth of softward--in Danish. Needless to say, they stopped the transaction and changed my account number. Before I got the new card, someone called me from NY saying someone using my name had done the same thing to them. I explained what had happened to me and she was able to stop the transaction. It's bad enough when they try to use your card but to use someone else's card and give your name is the height of insufference.