Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would love to take a cruise...which cruise lines do you like, which ones should I avoid? >

Would love to take a cruise...which cruise lines do you like, which ones should I avoid?

Would love to take a cruise...which cruise lines do you like, which ones should I avoid?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I am going to keep watching this thread I started. I am so happy so many of you hve cruised and are willing to share your experiences.

I hope no one thinks we don't like kids. We like kids, we have two of them LOL. We just would prefer a more adult environment...not McDonalds..more like Ruth Chris Steakhouse.

I would love to take a quilting cruise, but for our first I won't subject my husband to that. He is nearing retirement, but not nearly as soon as he would like, so this cruise is for him to relax, eat well, and enjoy some sightseeing. He works very hard so he deserves some fun.

Has anyone cruised with Oceania? Several family members have taken the Holland America Alaska cruise, and enjoyed it very much.
I chose to go on a Holland American Alaskan cruise after Labor Day. I am a retired teacher and while I love kids and teaching, I wanted an adult oriented cruise with as few children as possible. Turned out there were no children on the cruise at all.
I went on another cruise with lots of children and enjoyed it just as much. Just depends on where you are in life and what type of atmosphere you want.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:41 AM

Celebrity or Royal carribbean. Stay away from Carnival. You'll wait in line for everything.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 AM

My boyfriend and I are going with another couple Sept. 12 on Carnival Fascination to the Bahamas. I have never been but Paul and Linda have both been and neither has her boyfriend ever been. But Paul says to always take the bigger ships, well known ones because it is not worth it on the smaller ones. The one we are taking is huge and I am getting very excited. I will give you more info when we get back. Lura
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 PM

Made two cruises with in a year and both on Carnival.
Had a great time but lots of people and lots of kids too.
Food and service was excellent.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Have cruised with Carnival twice. Both times with kids. Next time it's another ship catered to adults.

Carnival is great for families. Food and entertainment were excellent!

DH and I want a romantic trip without screaming kids around!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Check out Cruise Critic (just google them) they always have great information. We found that you really just have to find a line that meets your wants/needs. You always hear good and bad about all of the lines, so it really seems to come down to personal taste. We really like Norwiegan, but lots of people don't like that it is casual and the meals don't seem to impress a lot of people. We also found that the age crowd changed based on dates (like college spring break) and destination. I don't think you can go wrong- cruising is so much fun!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Been on both Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Both were great. Enjoyed the shows on the RC more. RC also had better veggies. All cruise lines seem to have great deserts though.

I was once given advice by a couple who were then older. They told me the longer trips would have more older folks because those with families couldn't take as much time off and $$$ as those who are more established in life and finances.

ali
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM

We have had wonderful experiences with Princess Cruise Lines. I doubt if we ever use any other line.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 AM

Just got back from a 12day cruise to Alaska. Was on the Celebrity Millineum. It was FABULOUS!!! crew and all.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 AM

I have never been to Alaska, but I have cruised several times to the Caribbean and my choice is Royal Caribbean cruise lines. However, the really large ships in the Royal Caribbean fleet would not be my choice - way too many people. The cruises I took were always the smaller ships. Although not geared to adults, the Disney Ships are wonderful! The private pool area for adults is enforced and was very nice. My husband and I went with our teenage son and we totally enjoyed it. You can PM me if you want more info. Wish I could come along - I love to cruise.