Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would love to take a cruise...which cruise lines do you like, which ones should I avoid? >

Would love to take a cruise...which cruise lines do you like, which ones should I avoid?

Would love to take a cruise...which cruise lines do you like, which ones should I avoid?

Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 PM

We've taken 2 Princess cruises - Princess treated us great. Not too many children and/or teens, but then it depends on the time of year you go.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 PM

we cruised with Royal Carribean 5 times and on one of them we had to rescue people from a Carnival ship that had problem - good thing it was the last day and we were headed back to Miami - its like compaing cadilas with volkswagons - they are both good ships in their own right but I'd take Royal Carribean anytime
Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Sailed with Princess 4 times, 3 Carribean, 1 Alaska. Very adult oriented great service, etc. Have FUN!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM

I too am going on the Bonnie Hunter cruise with a friend,
we are so excited.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM

I get motion sickness, too. Go to your Dr. and get a prescription for the patches (they stick behind your ear) that eliminate the motion sickness. Sharon
Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
We recently went on an Alaskan cruise with Holland American. It was very nice. Definitely adult oriented.
Us too. I think there were 2 kids on the whole ship, and from what I saw, they were well behaved.

We took a 6 day land tour and a 7 day cruise, and I have absolutely no complaints

I would suggest working the land tour into your trip, imo, we saw more of the 'real' Alaska, including flying in a plane and landing inside the arctic circle, and then flying in a helicopter and landing on a glacier.. We renewed our vows, with the captain officiating, and we knew ahead of time we were included in a group of couples doing the same. NO ONE else signed up! So, we had the nicest 45 min. or so chat with the captain. A very interesting experience

It was definitely the trip of my lifetime. I stopped at a few quilt shops and bought some patterns and fabric of course!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Well, it looks as though I am the only one who has repeated going on the Carnival. I have booked each and every cruise with the same rep and I really have not been disappointed.......

I don't let someone else's kids bother me.......they are not mine so I can just ignore them and go about my cruising......
If they do eventually annoy me, the ship is large enough to find another area to enjoy away from them.......

I am going on my 17th cruise in February..and having the advantage of VIP embarkment and disembarkment makes for a pleasant time.....

My advice is to enjoy one's self and not worry about someone else's kids..........

those three that took someone's scooter should have been reported and I am sure that they would have been dealt with accordingly...rather that just watch them perform their meanness and get away with it.

With all that said, I wish you all happy cruising wherever you go and on whichever ship you choose.
we've done 3 carnival cruises, I loved them all, and I really dont drink, and never gamble, and I really dislike most kids! (most people w/ kids think theirs are perfect and all the rest on the planet are mutant devildogs! not so! theyre all pretty uniformly have issues). If people have the cash they drag their kids along - never could figure out why, cruises are patently an adult venue.

The food is spectacular, the shows are very good, the staff is very friendly (just walk up and talk to anyone, they will talk w/ you). I'd have high tea every afternoon at sea, and one area had a nice piano lounge. I love to read and they had a nice library I'd spend time in. They had a comedy club at night. I didnt sit by the pool ever(I have my own and like it to myself), never spent time where the kids ate (mostly hamburgers and fries outside by the pool). if you like to be involved the crew will get you into their stage shows - very funny.

You have to pick where youd like to go - I love very warm temps and lots of ocean all around, so we go south. You can ask for adult only or adult oriented cruises if you dont want a lot of kids around (unless you like kids underfoot do not go on a disney cruise!! all kids all the time). if you dont like lots of people around go on a smaller cruise line that caters to small groups. I saw somewhere there was going to be a quilting cruise this fall or winter. That would basically be most people aboard would be quilters and they would have activities/ classes etc geared to quilters.

I just want to go and be pampered - no cooking, special foods every day I've always wanted to taste but will never cook, no picking up after people, they do it all, no having to do anything, surrounded by water, watch the sunset every nite, watch the sun rise, talk to people from all over the world. laugh alot!

we dont use a rep to book, (but if you've never been on a ship) it ppbly would be to your advantage to talk with one, they can give you options and ideas taylored just for you. you will have a great time no matter what line you pick - its a nice change from day to day routine
Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Janet -- don't worry about taking your husband on a quilting cruise. There is plenty for the men to do as you don't have to be in classes or sewing all day long. When I went on one to Alaska, almost all the women had their husbands along. I took my boyfriend and he thoroughly enjoyed himself.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 PM

We were on the Star Princess a few years ago when it caught fire. I was from a Sun. pm till the next Sun and the fire was on a Wed. nite, so we had to fly from Jamaica back to port. 150 rooms burned.[not ours] One person died of a heart attack. I think there were 20 folks injured. I dreamed of going to the Bahamas but didn't make it.[ Was next stop. And at Jamaica Port we couldn't get off till too late in the day to go any place. So that was a bust!!!We were so disappointed. I just wouldn't go with them again. I know accidents happen. Oh well "some day" Good luck with who you decide on!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 PM

We've been on two cruises, both Carnival, two different ships, Western Caribbean and Eastern Caribbean. Had a wonderful time on both with no problems. I have Celiac Disease which is an intollerance to gluten, (it's in lots of foods) so I have a very specific diet to follow. All I had to do was notify them ahead of time and I was accommodated in every way possible. The hostess would come to my table and setup my dinner for the next night and I always had a wonderful surprise dessert every night. They even have a specific kitchen where meals are made for medical diets and people with food allergies only. We always found the staff to be courteous, friendly and very accommodating. Both our cruises were in the month of November and not a lot of children.

I hope your experience will be as wonderful as ours was no matter what cruise line you choose. Happy sailing!!!