Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: would you change her name?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmom
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    Dogs handle name changes very well. It's recommended to give a new name with every change of ownership. Behaviorists often say to give them a positive name which doesn't sound like "no" (or whatever word you use in place of no).

For instance Cujo has the no oh and is negative in sentiment even when joking.

Doesn't she also have other nicknames? Most animals go by a few names. Try one of those instead.

Her pic reminds me of Pebbles. If you really don't want to change, maybe just alter it to Goa or Way-way (Wei Wei).

Edit: You can make a name change immediately. There is no adjustment period in animals. Associate it with a treat and done.
    thank you for the info. i do call her miss go away but seems she responds better to go away
    Maybe you could call her Missy ...

Blog Entries
    she is such a cutie
    how about Bow-J

Yes change it. She is so cute she looks like a little tuti-fruity.She is a cutie.

She is adorable. Cutie

I took in a toy poodle that had been dumped in my neighborhood and I tried all the dog names I could think of and kept coming to Charlie and it just seemed to fit him, he was a great dog.
    I was given a little blonde dog at the groomers, the owner didn't want her anymore, her name was Misty, since one of my toy poodles name was Mistyblue, I knew that wouldn't work, so I named her Honeybun and she answered to it the rest of her life.
    New home new name - it all seemed to make sense to them.
    Just call her the new name about 50 times a day. I didn't change the dog I got from Humane Society and she has kept up with most of her bad behavior. MIL had her first.

bj
    We adopted a 1 yo boxer and changed his name. Took him a couple of days, but he knows his name fine. If you call him or correct him, he knows who you mean. Your little dog is adorable. Maybe you could call her Chloe or something that kinda sounds the same.

reminds me of my brother - when he was little he thought his name was Very Much because my Aunt would always say "Thank you, very much" when he did something for her.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    My dog's name is Little Girl even though she is not so little anymore. When she first started showing up at my house as a stray thats what I called her to come to me and the name just stuck

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    In my house our pets have names but also each one has several nicknames. For instance, Mabel is called Mayboo, Mabel Anne, Boo-Boo, Boobie, Boo-Boo Boolinski, etc. Maggie May is Maggie May Muppet, Muppet, Muppie, cupcake, you name it. We have 5 cats right now but my dog had a million nicknames, all terms of endearment, as did all our beloved pets who are now gone. They just take it for granted I guess b/c they always know they're being talked to. Weird I guess but we've always done it lol :D

AWWWW You have a precious furkid. I personally think she deserves a cuter name. LOL Just me thinking. LOL

Keep the name. It's cute and different.

Blog Entries
    i have a shitzu/chihuahua/poodle mix she will be 1 yr old in feb. when i first got her my other dog would push her away so we started calling her Go Away and she answers to it. but now everyone that meets her says i need to change her name what do you think?
    I did a little checking here and I believe that once a dog has a name, it stays. You can improvise or embellish or shorten, but don't change her name. Spelling change is fine - which brings me to my checking here - GAUWEI - English for Once Again or afresh or all over again - pronounced go-way! So, once again you can start afresh or begin all over again - Gauwei! I have a quote from Martin Luther (known as the nailer of the 95 Theses, the first member of the Lutheran church) who said, "Be though comforted, Little Dog. Thou, too, in resurrection, shall have a Little Golden Tail." This leads me to believe that dogs are angels and instead of the halo we are going to be getting, they will be getting a "Little Golden Tail." Also, "God will prepare everthing for our perfect happiness in Heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe she'll be there." Billy Graham

Edie

PS - My Avatar - This is Miss Bess, Bess, Bessie, Bessie Mae, Roundhead (and that is when I am angry with her - I never use her name when I am angry with her, because her name means love to her), and her name is Miss Bess.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    i have a shitzu/chihuahua/poodle mix she will be 1 yr old in feb. when i first got her my other dog would push her away so we started calling her Go Away and she answers to it. but now everyone that meets her says i need to change her name what do you think?
    I did a little checking here and I believe that once a dog has a name, it stays. You can improvise or embellish or shorten, but don't change her name. Spelling change is fine - which brings me to my checking here - GAUWEI - English for Once Again or afresh or all over again - pronounced go-way! So, once again you can start afresh or begin all over again - Gauwei! I have a quote from Martin Luther (known as the nailer of the 95 Theses, the first member of the Lutheran church) who said, "Be though comforted, Little Dog. Thou, too, in resurrection, shall have a Little Golden Tail." This leads me to believe that dogs are angels and instead of the halo we are going to be getting, they will be getting a "Little Golden Tail." Also, "God will prepare everthing for our perfect happiness in Heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe she'll be there." Billy Graham

Edie

PS - My Avatar - This is Miss Bess, Bess, Bessie, Bessie Mae, Roundhead (and that is when I am angry with her - I never use her name when I am angry with her, because her name means love to her), and her name is Miss Bess.
    thanks edie. miss bess is such a cutie. all my dogs have enquie names i have one name kitkat, dg is short for devil girl (dad named her that), baby girl is a great pyrenees.

If she responds to "Miss Go Away" let her be called that, will make for a good story when you explain WHY she is called that. Besides she will not know what we humans associate with "go away" she just knows it is her name. She is so cute I want to pet her.

Blog Entries
    Call her GO for short and it will be nice. She will answer to that.
    We have an airedale that was almost two when we rescued him. He had been a lost dog and we have no idea what his original name was. The foster home he was in for a few weeks called him Andy. My husband didn't like that so we changed his name to MacDuff. Within a week he started answering to his new name. Now he answers to that as well as Duff and Duffy.
    I also call him and my other rescue airedale, Sadie, by silly things like McDoodlebopper and others. They know when they are being called.

Maybe just shorten it down to Gogo, She is adorable by the way. I have a Llaso/Poodle mix and they are the sweetest little dogs, you will love her

We adopted two new pups in June, gave them both new names. They were 7m, & 1yr, at that time, & neither had a problem getting use to their new names, so, I say, go for it! Give her a new name, a cute one, that fits her, & everyone will be happier!...

How about GoGo? It still retains part of the old name but changed slightly.

Blog Entries
    "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Dogs don't speak the same language as humans, so the only negative connotation to that name is what you give it. If the connection is positive, why change? Dogs learn their name no matter what language you speak.

I did the same thing. When I got my got she weighed under 10 obls (still does). She was just a year old. I called her "Itty Bitty", tried to come up with another name but this one fits hers. She's the sweetest and most loving thing. She listens to me like a dog (when I call her she comes, when I say stay so I can finish something before she pounces, she stays. She's my Itty-Bitty Lovey. Animals are so amazing. Love them!!

Blog Entries
    Oh! How I LOVE your Avatar!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Dogs don't speak the same language as humans, so the only negative connotation to that name is what you give it. If the connection is positive, why change? Dogs learn their name no matter what language you speak.

Blog Entries
    I'd give her a new nickname along with what she knows. My Hunter for years thought his name was Nohunter.

All of our dogs have had multiple names. Cindy- AKA the Dowager Duchess of Dog; Missy AKA Miss-Miss or Big Dog; Mariah AKA Little Dog, Puppy-butt or Baby Dog; Beanie(a rescued registered Lab)AKA Miss Beans, Baby Beans, Beanie Baby or Pretty Girl; and Harley (another rescued purebread Lab)AKA Harley-Man, Big Guy or Harlford. They answer/answered to all the names with the exception of Harley. He's deaf. We can't figure out hand signals for all his names.

The only one we got to name was Mariah, everyone else can with their name and we didn't change them.

Puppy-butt....LOL

Blog Entries
    This is a glowy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast