Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: woven table cloth fabric

woven table cloth fabric

I am looking for fabric to make a table cloth for my harvest table. Since it is an odd size it is more practical for me to make this. My problem is finding fabric to do this. I looked today at Hancocks and JoAnn's and they had nothing. What I would like is something like deinim weight sport fabric in white. A blend would be nice for no ironing.
    There used to be a fabric out there that had the check woven in the fabric, this is what I was looking for.
    Any ideas? I Googled and didn't find what I was looking for.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried Hancocks of Paducah?

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Table cloths are hard to find these days. I would love to find some old fashioned red/white check damask table cloths like our grandmothers and mothers had. The kind you see in old movies at the Italian restaurants. No luck, I have heard that the looms that make them are no longer usable. But that is another story. My favorite harvest tablecloth is a wide back batik. I was able to cut it to fit my oval table. It's not the easy wear you mentioned but there is the advantage of when I get tired of it I can cut it up or use it for a back.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    Table cloths are hard to find these days. I would love to find some old fashioned red/white check damask table cloths like our grandmothers and mothers had. The kind you see in old movies at the Italian restaurants. No luck, I have heard that the looms that make them are no longer usable. But that is another story. My favorite harvest tablecloth is a wide back batik. I was able to cut it to fit my oval table. It's not the easy wear you mentioned but there is the advantage of when I get tired of it I can cut it up or use it for a back.
    Have you tried antique stores? I've seen vintage tablecloths in them frequently.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    This isn't "fabric" per se, but it could work for what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/DII-Cotton-Mac...0_SR214%2C320_

I think there were also poly ones available.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Look for a Good Housekeeping table cloth...it already has the checks.

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    I know exactly what you're looking for. I don't think those can be found anymore, except maybe in thrift stores. I think the closest you can get today would be homespun fabrics. Let me know if homespun fabric will work for you. Good luck in your search.
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

Have you thought about tablecloth linen? I an on my Kindle as my pc crashed so I don't have access to my info. I did a quick search and found this site - warehousefabricsinc.com
    They have a wide assortment of colors and linen in cotton and blends.
    Good Luck, ladibug