Are you retired?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned

I am disabled. God bless. Penny
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Retired from running a daycare in my home for 28 years. Never dreamed I'd be able to retire or that I'd enjoy it but health issues intervened and I had to retire and health issues resolved and thoroughly enjoying retirement which is quilting and water aerobics 6 days a week plus other things as well. I just never pictured myself without a house full of young children until some kind soul informed me I was too old to do it but as much as I love and enjoy children, I honestly haven't had time to miss them too much. Of course being able to enjoy 7 grandchildren helps a lot too.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I am retired for the summer (til school starts), then one more year. Hubby just retired, so we are having a great time.
Cathie, what school do you teach in? My son taught science at Club Hill Elementary a few years ago. I think school teachers are saints!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM

I was laid off last July and decided to take disability and not try to find a job I can still do. I love it, but it is true we seem to have less "me" time. What annoys me is all my friends continually ask how come I don't get a lot of quilting done now I have "nothing to do". It seems as if all I do is cook and clean. It has been almost a year, now I WILL make me time come first.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM

"Me" time is very hard to come by when everyone knows you're home! If it's not my DH, it's either my DD or DDIL or even my sweet DMIL!! Goodness, someone always needs me to go get someone, stay with someone, take them somewhere, or help in one way or another.. I haven't figured out how to fit in that important "ME" time.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 AM

I retired from a job that I absolutely loved 5 years ago at age 55. My husband retired at age 57, approx. 7 years ago. He took to retirement immediately. My adjustment was more difficult. I found it difficult to give up a job I loved so much.

We moved from So. CA right after I retired, and reside in Eastern WA. I love retirement now. I took up quilting, and have met some wonderful people. I now have the time to volunteer at a Women's Center thrift shop for abused women.
All proceeds go to the women's shelter. I run the book section, and help out in other areas. I love my slow pace now, and can do whatever I want, when I want.

I even have the time to be on this quilting board and don't feel the least bit quilty!!! Would have never had made the time when I was working ( 12 hour days, including the commute to downtown San Diego).

Have always had hobbies and projects going, but now that I have found quilting and sashiko, I concentrate on that. And I love this quilting board. :thumbup:
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Judie
"Me" time is very hard to come by when everyone knows you're home! If it's not my DH, it's either my DD or DDIL or even my sweet DMIL!! Goodness, someone always needs me to go get someone, stay with someone, take them somewhere, or help in one way or another.. I haven't figured out how to fit in that important "ME" time.
Get caller ID & then you know who is calling & not answer.