Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
you Southern gals..or guys..plant identification please. >

you Southern gals..or guys..plant identification please.

you Southern gals..or guys..plant identification please.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks for all the info and tips! i will take good care of them for my neighbor until it is safe to plant. my house faces east, so they will get morning sun,inside until then.
i had the Crimson red one last year..it was a real beauty on my deck..i already have hummers and monarchs coming to my garden in the summer months.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 PM

I just purcased one just like that and it is called a Mandevilla the tag said its a fast growing climber and that it is a part to full sun.flowers from spring to fall says it is a annual. hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 PM
JJC

Originally Posted by watterstide
it has shiney leaves. a climber. sold to my neighbor ,here in michigan as a clemantis! nd thinks it will come back next year! no way! looks tropical to me..

she asked me to take care of it,until it is time to plant..(gardening in my other hobby and love)
It is a Mandevilla. We had one exactly like this that we bought from Lowes here in NC last summer, planted it out and was beautiful, but it didn't survive the winter here like the tag said it should and our winters here are mild.

We just bought another very pretty red one today at the Farmer's market here in NC.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 AM

It's a mandevilla. Prepare to treat it as an annual (a one season wonder) or to bring it in for winter. Cut back to about 2 feet and find a sunny spot for it inside. I have had minimal luck in NJ. It will stay alive (barely) but recover nicely outside in the summer. Mine never looks as good as the first year.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 AM

Its a Mandevilla, a tropical plant.
Usually used as a container plant.
Will not stand any cold weather. Kept inside it will develop white flies, so best used outside in the summer.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Looks like mandevilla to me. Not sure if I spelled it right but I winter them in the house and then put them out all summer.
I'm a Yankee girl living in Ohio hahaha
It is Mandavilla. This is what I do in CT. It cannot survive the winter.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Trumpet vines has small little flowers that has shape of a trumpet. I brought the seeds with me when I move to IA from MS. Mine are red.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 AM

This not a clematis. The leaves are way to big and so is the flower. A gal from Mississippi.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 AM

Like most have said it is a Mandevilla.. Now if you had a bouganvillea you would know right away, thay have small blooms and they have nasty thorns. Bouganvilleas do not really vine they have very long,branches ( not the right word) but just had a Senior Brain freeze :roll: They get very long and high,unless you prune they can be unruly.. But they are Beautiful too. BillsBonBon
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
it has shiney leaves. a climber. sold to my neighbor ,here in michigan as a clemantis! nd thinks it will come back next year! no way! looks tropical to me..

she asked me to take care of it,until it is time to plant..(gardening in my other hobby and love)
That is a Mandevilla ... beautiful, and they grow fast and like an eastern exposure, southeastern if you can do that. I've never been able to keep one from year to year, supposed to let it go dormant, cut it back and so forth. We have four seasons here in the mountains, I do not like that 4th one with some snow ... so I just buy a new one every year 'cause they do not like it too cold.

If you put it in front of a trellis, it will be awesome all summer into fall.