Your Worst Gift ?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
My ex-husband on our last Christmas together bought me a frying pan, slippers that were too small (I wear a size six) and a used paperback copy of "Out of Africa" with a sales receipt in it for a bookmark.

Also to those of you that have gotten various appliances,you should have followed my sister-in-laws' example. She told her husband. "If it comes with a cord, it is an appliance not a present."
Unless it's a sewing machine!!!!! :wink:
Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 AM

This thread has been so funny---brought back many memories of horrendous gifts. When my first husband and I got married a cousin gave us a wine bottle cover made of some sort of reeds or weeds. It was a woven/broomlike bound woman with a woven fish thing hanging from her arm. Neither of us drank wine, it didn't come with a bottle of wine, just that ugly fish carrying woman. When we opened it my cousin's wife said, "When I saw that I just fell in love with it and knew you'd like it as much as I did." All I could think of was, "Well, if I had no taste I might." Of course I didn't say that out loud.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
My husband gave me a weed whacker for Mother's day once. I thought I could get mad or just get even so on Father's day, I gave him a new quilting book. We laughed so hard. We have done this every year since.
roflmao that is a very good idea! I will keep this in mind!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhh kay here is a good one! One year I got a hammock stand. No hammock, just the stand! I looked around like "what is this for" there was no hammock with it so for Father's day I bought him the hammock! He actually thought it was a good idea! I guess he thought the hammock came with it. So my motto is "IF IN DOUBT, BY ME DIAMONDS OR GOLD"
Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM

This isn't about me, this happened when I was 11 years old, it was christmas and we had neighbors over and were opening gifts, my Dad made clues up for my mother to follow to get her gift I thought this is exciting dad got mom something cool! Oh man when she found the gift it was a steam iron I was so embarrased and disappointed for her to this day.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 PM

My worst one was not a gift in sight, just an IOU for a printer for my first computer. Then after Christmas he told me we couldn't afford one and to not go buy one. Guess where I went first. We were married less than 2 years.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 PM

My ex bought me a iron and I was told that I could iron his uniforms now. My DH of 30 years tries but has a thing for something to keep me warm first it was a housecoat I only had 7 in the closet. now he is always buying gloves snuggies or houseshoes anyway we now agree to just go shopping a buy for ourselves or one big purchase we need. Lets face it girls some guys no matter how good they are try but just don't get it. But you gotta love them...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 AM

Went to a family reunion, DHs family. He had this really old aunt who brought gifts for every one. All of the boxes were identical little square white boxes tied with a ribbon. The ones to her blood relatives had a little gift of something she had had forever, like a little piece of jewelry or a little keepsake box. The ones to the inlaws had nothing. I asked my BIL what we should do. He said maybe she couldn't afford to really have a gift for everyone and just trusted us to have the good manners to not say anything about the box being empty.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 AM

One year my mother gave my nephew peanut brittle that had expired about 10 years earlier.

Another Christmas she tore pages out of a magazine to give my daughters.

Needless to say we are OK with her not giving us presents.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM

A person who shall remain nameless once gave me a can of hairspray, wrapped up with a bow and everything. It wasn't even good hairspray, it was the $1.59 a can stuff. They thought it was hilarious. I didn't. LOL