Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Zippers as a fashion

Power Poster

Zippers as a fashion

Zippers have been a part of leather zippered jacket accents for years. Lately I am noticing many high end fancy dresses have a big silver zipper up the back or on the shoulders etc. Whatever happened to invisible zippers? I don't like it and I think it spoils the look of a nice dress. I guess I am getting too old.

We must be the same age then! I've seen some lovely dresses (from the front) only to turn them around and be totally put off by the gigantic zipper up the back. And I wonder why I can't find an attractive dress anymore.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I see dresses like that I'm reminded of costumes involving "gentleman's clubs".

I guess it will pass like all clothing fads do. I don't wear dresses or skirts unless it's a formal occasion. I haven't bought any new in a long time and glad I can wear the size as they are old. The dressy clothes in the store now I won't try on much less wear.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I agree, as does my not quite 40 year old daughter. Went shopping with her for a basic black dress, and we were attracted to several dresses until we turned them around to view the back.

Was watching Days of Out Lives the other day and they showed a beautiful dress from the back. When she turned around there was a large silver zipper up the front. It seemed to detract from the whole look. I was also picturing me in that dress---LOL--the zipper would look like a crooked mountain road after it went over all my lumps and rolls!! I agree--hope this is a passing style and not here to stay!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I thought you were talking about zippers on purses. I really like the accent of zippers on purses, but not on clothes..

Blog Entries
    went to a Bat mizpha last weekend, the dresses were lovely from the front, only to be ruined by a big brass zipper up the back. maybe mfg. forgot how to put a zipper in. it's prob. a matter of time, takes less time to put them in that way.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Not a fan of the new trend either! But I do have to confess....in the late 60's my friends and I made reversible zipper skirts. It had a big silver zipper up the front....mine was navy/burgundy...What were we thinking???

....When my husband went to Sicily a few years ago, he bought me a beautiful knitted dress it has zippers in various places, my (now late) MIL loved it. I wear it it winter with my doc martens...keeps you on the straight and narrow fitness wise, but I like the eclectic look. Clothes to me are fun and a bit of theatre, I dress to please myself rather than follow trends. My idea of a hideous nightmare would be a 'twinset and pearls'.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a lovely top with the zip wrong side of seam as I thought. So went home unpicked and put it in the correct way.
    the fact it was fashion missed me by a few miles
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    Was watching Days of Out Lives the other day and they showed a beautiful dress from the back. When she turned around there was a large silver zipper up the front. It seemed to detract from the whole look. I was also picturing me in that dress---LOL--the zipper would look like a crooked mountain road after it went over all my lumps and rolls!! I agree--hope this is a passing style and not here to stay!
    What a hoot !!!! But ya know , every lump , bump , mountain and roll has a memory. So hang onto those with the gusto of a hound dog. hehehehe
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I think it looks okay on a very thin, young person. Not on me!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noiseynana View Post
    What a hoot !!!! But ya know , every lump , bump , mountain and roll has a memory. So hang onto those with the gusto of a hound dog. hehehehe
    LOL That's the same look the zipper would be on me too!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I've seen those huge zippers on the backs of dresses, too, and wonder what is the point? I'm getting too old, too, and hate anything with Spandex in it...too clingy, clingy. No modesty left with those clingy cliothes..and nearly impossible to find clothing that doesn't look like my grandmother, yet fits and looks decent. So, still wearing clothes from the 90's and hoping fashions change soon.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I remember the dresses in the 60's with giant zippers in them. They were very popular but very faddish so the didn't stay around long. I didn't have a boyfriend, I was too young, but I remember some of the girls calling them "easy access"! I was so naive, I had no clue what they meant!

I like the big zipper look! But I'm fashion-clueless so I probably have terrible taste.

I don't wear dresses at all but I still like big zippers on overshirts. When I was a teenager and trying to be punk my favorite pants had a whole bunch of big shiny zippers all over them, some of which could be used to zip the legs down super tight, which was the style we were all going for (so you could tuck your cuffs into the tops of your Doc Martens, you see...). Of course at that time I was also wearing safety pins as earrings and dying my hair electric green, so what did I know? LOL

Power Poster
    I actually like zippers for an edgy, rebel look. I just don't think they suit fancy dresses.

Blog Entries
    I love it when parts of my wardrobe come back into fashion -LOL My Mom bought me one outfit for my b-day in '72 and I copied the pattern and made several jackets and a few skirts. I have been wearing them since then. I dress to please me- never did follow the trends.

Zippers were very popular years ago. The one I had was very uncomfortable, sitting on the zipper and leaning back drove me crazy. So not sure why anyone would want to bring it back unless you are going to be standing the entire time.

I saw one of our local TV news broadcasters in the Y last fall and, to my horror, her dress had an ugly, exposed zipper down the back. Ruined the whole effect for me.

Blog Entries
    I am beginning to think many things are being made over seas in sweat shops ---it is like they have no pride in their work just go for get er done

Blog Entries
    *** They are UGLY.
    *** When I had Home Ec it was a NO-NO for zipper to show.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

My oldest daughter broke her foot long time ago when she was a teen, and wanted to go with the girl scouts on a sledding where the snow was. She had a cast on and so I put a zipper in her corduroy pant leg so she could go on this outing. I still remember this!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.