Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another Alaskan Girl.. Hello All

Red face Another Alaskan Girl.. Hello All

I loved coming into this introduce yourself part and seeing another person from Alaska. I have lived in this state off and on since 1998 and I absolutely love it. I currently live on Kodiak Island with my wonderful family. I dabbled in quilting about 20 years ago; I started on my first quilt and received lessons from a very wonderful friend in New York. After I joined the Military it did get put into a box and pretty much moved along with me until last year. I finally spoke with a local gal and asked her if she could quilt (this Hot Mess of a quilt that obviously had one too many types of fabrics they should have not gone together). She told me to fix a few things and yes she would do it for me. When I got this quilt back it stayed in the bag for about another year. Mother’s day of the same year I left to visit family and they decided to give me a craft room and this is when my love again for sewing turned around.

January of 2014 I took it upon myself to make a goal for myself so I didn’t feel like this room my children really wanted to give me didn’t go to waste. The goal was to finish EVERY project I started from the last 20 years no excuses. Well I am well on my way because I finished a large quilt for my husband’s mother (started 3 years ago), My 20 Year old quilt did get its binding and is currently on my bed , and have finished several others I started and finished. I am addicted to quilting and giving them to my family that my room is now to small so I need a larger one .

Sorry such a long story just excited to find this Quilting Board and meet such great people.

Welcome from Ohio!
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

Welcome from Canada! Sounds like you came to the right place!

Hi and welcome from Fort Myers, FL

Welcome from Nevada.

Blog Entries
    a warm welcome from western Ky. used to live and teach quilting in Anchorage for 5 years, so beautiful up north!
    dare to dream

Power Poster
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Leaha I wished I lived in a place that taught classes living on the island makes it hard. But I'm always teaching myself and trying new things and excited to talk to people about it.

Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard The Board from Vermont and occasionally from Soldotna, Alaska!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Best of luck with your quilt goals!
    Lori

welcome from se TX
    diane

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Welcome from North Carolina. Wow, sounds like you've been busy! Glad to have you here.

Hello and welcome from northern California!
    Janet L52

Hello from Seward, AK! Have fun with your quilting, and if you need resources, there's a group called the Kodiak Bear Paw Quilters. They have a web page and a Facebook presence, so that might be a group to get to know. It's nice to have fellow quilters around - we all speak the same language!

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    Welcome aboard The Board from Vermont and occasionally from Soldotna, Alaska!
    I was born and raised in Vermont oh how I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by SooBDo View Post
    Hello from Seward, AK! Have fun with your quilting, and if you need resources, there's a group called the Kodiak Bear Paw Quilters. They have a web page and a Facebook presence, so that might be a group to get to know. It's nice to have fellow quilters around - we all speak the same language!
    Thank you SooBDO, I do love my community and we have some very talented ladies here. Sometimes its a bit overwhelming and I have to admit intimidating at times. I plan on going to the Quilt Guild next month because I have a friend who is very experienced and she promised to hold my hand . We also have so many avenues since we have technology to show others our talents or to ask for help but I find myself a bit of a home body when I dont have to work or tend my garden lol. I am slowly coming out of my comfort zone and reaching out. Thanks for such a warm welcome all.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.