Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Greetings from Florida

Greetings from Florida

I'm a mom of two grown boys, wife and grandmother to two gorgeous grand daughters.

I had never attempted quilting or even had a desire to learn. Then one day about 7 years ago, my eldest son told me he wanted a quilt for his birthday and he wanted me to make it. I called my sister, who has been a quilting fanatic for many years and asked for help. She gave me a website to go to to buy a kit. My son wanted greens and browns for colors. Lo and behold, there was a queen size kit in those colors in the clearance section, so I purchased it. After numerous calls for help to my sister who is 500 miles away, I managed to put the front together. However, when I laid it out to layer the back, batting and top, the batting was too small. Come to find out, it wasn't a queen, it was a king. The kit was labeled wrong. So, my very first quilt was a king size. Then when my youngest son saw it, he wanted one. So I used the same pattern but in the colors he chose. Word started to spread in the family, and I ended up making 3 more king size quilts. These were my first 5 quilting projects. By now, I was hooked on quilting but I much prefer the smaller projects now.

I enjoy gardening, sewing (embroidery and quilting), baking hundreds of cookies at Christmas to deliver to the police and fire stations and spending time with my grandbabies when I visit them.

I look forward to gleaning any info I can get here and offering any advice I can.

Wow! If you've already made five Kings you are certainly experienced by now!
    Welcome to the board. You will love it here. There is no end to the hints, inspiration, and wonderful people.

What a wonderful story! Hello from the opposite corner of the states, Seattle area of Washington.

I don't come from a family tradition of quilting but decided I wanted to make a quilt as a senior in high school. 40 years later I'm still making and still learning. Like you, I'm more than happy to share my advice from 40 years of trial and a lot of errors to help others learn from my mistakes.

I'm expecting my first and probably only grandbaby this year. I'm so excited!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Welcome, Tare, from NC. Sound like the bug has bitten you hard. You'll fit right in here! All of us are so addicted to quilting. Any questions, just ask. Someone here can answer it for you. Again, welcome!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

lovely story. Welcome from another Floridian .
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard! Nothing like digging right in. Kids have a way of taking us places we never dreamed of. I like working on smaller projects these days. I told myself no more king size quilts. Who was I trying to fool Ha!. Since I made that statement I have made at least 4 more! Of course I made them with love. I can't count the number of queen size quilts I have made over the years. I have a queen size on the quilt frame right now and it has a promised home the day it is finished. You are in the right place. Welcome from SE Michigan.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    a warm welcome from western Ky. wow what a huge start, have never made a king size myself but some queen, full, and twin, along with many smaller quilts. I'd say ypu really have been bitten by the quilt bug, congrats!
    dare to dream

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Wow, starting out with king size quilts is an accomplishment!

Welcome from Texas. Five king size quilts was quite an task to take on but it sounds like everyone is happy with what you made & I know you've learned a lot in making them. We would love to see pictures of the quilts that you made. You will find help here when you need it.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.

Greetings and welcome from Ocala, FL. You are definitely at the right place to learn more about quilting but it sounds like you're a pro at it.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Vermont.....

Banned
    Hi and welcome from a former Floridian and now a North Carolinian! Five king-size quilts makes you an expert!! I never attempted even a queen-size one! I did a few full-size, but my loves are the lap, kids and baby sizes. Of those, I have made hundreds... maybe thousands!

There is so much more to learn everyday about this fascinating craft. And, the people here are so nice and helpful. You'll get all your answers here and make dozens of friends.

Thank you for all the welcomes. Jetayre, where in Vermont? I lived in Rutland for 23 years.

Blog Entries
    Great start!....you've done the hard part...now you can just enjoy.....!
    Life happens...and we react...