Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Greetings from SW Washington State >

Greetings from SW Washington State

Greetings from SW Washington State

Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM

I just found this forum - unfortunately, I am off work sick with bronchitis. SO - have some time to surf. I have made 2 small quilts to date - just started last fall. I have enjoyed the quilts I have made but now want to do more. I am intrigued by the quilt as you go method - I like to see things come together fast.

About me - I am a 50 something single woman in a long term relationship. Have lived in SW WA for 17 years. Most of my family lives in Washington - both sides of the mountains and we get together frequently. All 4 of us girls (3 sisters) and most of our daughters sew to some extent.

I love to sew, read, cook, garden. I am also involved in historical re-enactment of the fur trade era (mt men/rendezvous). I stay rather busy year round.

Does anyone else live in the SW WA region? Would love to get together with someone else who shares at least some of my passions.

Leanne
Old 03-12-2009, 11:15 AM

Welcome from Southern California. We have several members who live in Washington and Oregon.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi & welcome from Mass.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Hi and welcome from central part of Indiana. Sorry you are home sick but look at the bright spot you found this place :D
Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I was reading some of the other posts and thought of a question. I have a Husqvarna Viking Designer 1 USB embroidery machine - I love it. I recently purchased a walking foot for it and have not had a chance to try it out. Do any of you use a walking foot for quilting?

Leanne
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM

HI and welcome from NW WA. I just got new walking foot and I really like it for quilting. I didn't get to spray glue this quilt so I had to keep straightening the backing although I had pinned the heck out of it. Hope you get well real FAST but not TOOO fast, if ya know what I mean!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: Work will always be there and you certainly dont' want to get your co-workers sick, right??????
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Hello and Welcome!! I am from Seattle!!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Hi and Welcome from southern Indiana! Hope you feel better soon!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Hello from Port Angeles area :D
Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM

I just started quilting last fall. I purchased a book called "First Time Quiltmaking, In 6 easy Lessons". Boy - it started me out with the absolute basics which I didn't really need. I have been sewing for 40 some years so I knew how to measure and cut the fabric. I was not really intimidated by the piecing process other than most of the quilts I have seen seem so intricate. There are 3 patterns in the book - blocks and rails. I used stitch in the ditch technique to quilt the 2 baby sized quilts that I have made. It is so easy but now I am ready for something more advanced. Since I also just purchased a walking foot, I plan to make a few blocks to try the foot out. They will be small blocks that I quilt and bind - may end up as hot pads for the table! I also want to make a quilt for my bed but that looked to daunting as I do not have a long arm quilting machine like my sister does.

I went to the Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup the end of February. I took a Quilt as You Go seminar on "strippy quilts". You make individual strips for your quilt, quilt them on the machine and then put your strips together with sashing. I am now deciding what fabric colors to use.