Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hello from Cold MN!

Hello from Cold MN!

Hi! I'm momof3inmn. I live in MN where it's about 10 degrees below 0 right now! I've been quilting for about 20 years. I'm more of a "non-traditional" quilter, but not completely out there! I do a lot of my own patterns. Working on getting some of them to print.
    I have 3 kids at home, a hubby and a dog. I work full time but bust butt in the evenings and on weekends quilting! I purchased a long arm machine a little over a year ago and am having fun using it. Sometimes it can still be a little intimidating!
    I say I hate applique, but I tend to make a lot of quilts with applique! I kind of young'ish...so I struggle finding anyone close to my age with a passion for quilting. But I love connecting with all quilters, young and old!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Welcome! I grew up in upstate NY and it's cold there too, although not as cold as Minnesota maybe but tons of snow!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

Welcome from Tennessee. I don't think quilters have ages. We just have passion for cutting fabric into pieces and sewing them back together. If you could find a guild in your area they may have younger members you can connect with.

Welcome from Maryland where the temperature can't make up its mind. Sweaters one day, a T-shirt the next. I don't envy your climate at all. But it inspires many a quilt, I'm sure!

Yay for "youngish" quilters, too. I am probably younger than most here, but I'm a brand new grandmother of twins, so you might think I'm not so young~ but I take every possible opportunity to mention my little lambs! LOL

Blog Entries
    Welcome from down south of the border (Iowa) where it's just as cold right now...and worse next week...

Many of us started just like you...a houseful of kids, a job, and a passion for sewing. Keep it up. Our local guild was so excited when a young mom joined our group last month. Your age group brings a new dimension and enthusiasm that spills over to us.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Welcome from Michigan!

Hello Mom. Greetings from Seattle.

Isn't the internet a marvelous thing? Here we can all be quilters together regardless of age, location, or children at home. I started quilting as a senior in high school and was a solo quilter for a long time because I found the "little old quilting ladies" a bit intimidating. Since I've become one I can say that we are nothing to fear. Quilting people in general tend to be lovely, sure a lot of us have a lot of quirks but you have that in any group. I will admit, that at 58 even though I've been quilting for 40 years, I'm still the young one in my small group.

I don't do much applique either. I'm often tempted, I love that flower and vine sort of border... but then I come to my senses!

Hi from SD - were it's almost as cold!

Were you a fan of the Fabric warehouse that went out of business last year? I made two trips to Wilmar to stock up and this year I'm on a fabric buying diet because of it! We had a sister store near where I live, so I bought from both.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Hi from SD - were it's almost as cold!

Were you a fan of the Fabric warehouse that went out of business last year? I made two trips to Wilmar to stock up and this year I'm on a fabric buying diet because of it! We had a sister store near where I live, so I bought from both.
    I've never heard of Fabric Warehouse. Sounds like I missed a great thing. But that's probably ok given the size of my stash!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Be sure to show us some of your work.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Welcome from Maine. I'm a "youngish" quilter myself. I can totally relate to your evening and weekend quilt binges. It's to bad that work gets in the way right now, I tell my husband all the time.... I'm just practicing for retirement, just got alot years to go to get there.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Hi and welcome from North Carolina!! I'm sure you'll find several young quilters here! Not me, though, I'm old!! Like in my 80s old!!

Welcome from another Central Minnesotan. Quilters are of all ages. I witnessed a teenager touching fabric, at a quilt show. My granddaughter is 3, she does the same, when at a quilt shop. When at Millie P's, she had to show me all the quilts and fabric. : )