Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello From Seattle (Ballard), Washington >

Hello From Seattle (Ballard), Washington

Hello From Seattle (Ballard), Washington

Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 AM

Hello and Welcome from VA.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Somehow I missed this! Welcome Leona from Northern Illinois! My daughter and SIL live in Edmonds.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Nice to see another new member from Washington!
I consider myself somewhat a beginner what comes to quilting - it is easy to get started if you take a basic class at a nearby quilting store. That way you save yourself from frustration :-) I learned lots of quilting the hard way ......

I will check some of my quilting magazines for the easy patterns - those should get you started. I am actually in the middle of a move to Alaska but haven't packed the quilting magazines yet, so I'll check what I can find.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 AM

ok. take this snow with you to alaska. it' was snowing like crazy here this morning at 7:30, had over an inch of snow on the ground. when did they predict this stuff. it's raining now (11:00) getting real sloppy out and i didn't even get out with my grandson to make a snowman.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Welcome Leona from Georgia. It is great to have you with us.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 AM

Rita, I will drag the crappy weather with me but it is gonna stay here still for a bit over a week ...... Sorry! :-)
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 AM

I must agree about the weather!! Yesterday was so odd!! Snow in the morning, pouring down rain, beautiful sunshine, pouring down rain and wind, beautiful sunshine, HEAVY wind and flickering power : )
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Welcome from BLAINE, WA Lots of Washington gals on this forum
Old 03-28-2009, 03:58 AM

Hi Leona: Welcome! Seattle is my birthplace. You mentioned your mom in Granite Falls.......YEARS ago, the early 70's, my XH was transferred to Snohomish for his work and I met folks in the motel where we had to stay for 2 weeks while our house was being vacated. Anyway, they bought s grocery store in GF and hired me to work for them. These folks' vision was to make their store look like a Bavarian Village shop like the whole of Leavenworth,WA did years ago. Don't know if they ever achieved their goal or realized their vision? I worked for them only a few months then went to work in my social services career field. Don't remember the people's name but they had a cute little boy named Jeff. Small world, isn't it?

Back to quilting...some of my favorite quilt pattern sites are:
Quiltbus.com
Quilterscache.com

There are also a bazillion sites listed with "How To" instructions. When you go to a quilt site, make sure and check out their LINKS. It won't be long you'll have a whole library of quilt patterns from ultra easy or 1 thimble to the 4 thimble (advanced) variety.

MY BEST TIPS: MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UNIFORM SCANT 1/4 INCH SEAM ALLOWANCES ON EACH AND EVERY PIECE YOU SEW...THE SEAM ALLOWANCE CAN REALLY MESS UP HOW YOUR BLOCK GOES TOGETHER AND HOW POINTY YOUR POINTS ARE, ETC. ALSO, PRESS YOUR SEAMS...USUALLY TO THE DARKER FABRIC. PRESSING REALLY DOES MAKE YOUR BLOCK EASIER TO PUT TOGETHER AND HELPS YOU LINE UP CROSS SECTIONS SO EVERYTHING GOES TOGETHER JUST RIGHT. i ALSO HAVE A SPRAY BOTTLE OF WATER BY MY IRON AS THIS HELPS SMOOTH OUT YOUR BLOCK SEGMENTS. I like to spray starch the finished block. Lots of people like to spray starch each piece of the block as they sew and some like to spray starch the fabric BEFORE they cut it. Spray starch make the block look very crisp and nice.

Again, Welcome!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:18 AM

Leona: One more thing, if you click on my name above my avatar it'll take you to the postings I've (or anyone on the board ) put on the board and there are a couple EASY quilt pattern block instructions. One is the baby quilt using a 6 inch focus block that goes together quick and is darling made up. Good luck!