Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hello from South Dakota

Hello from South Dakota

Greetings from the Black Hills. I'm new to this forum but have been quilting for almost 20 years. Recently I completed a quilt top that replicates one made by my great grandmother circa 1932, it's a version of a drunkard's path. Like her, I pieced it all by hand and will hand quilt it but I haven't pieced the backing yet. With warmer days hopefully just around the corner there won't be much quilting done. I look forward to finding inspiration from fellow quilters on this forum.

Welcome from Texas... You've picked a great board to join for help, fun & encouragement. I would love to see your great grandmother's quilt & your replica of it. What a wonderful thing you are doing by continuing the quilting down through the generations.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Welcome from Texas... You've picked a great board to join for help, fun & encouragement. I would love to see your great grandmother's quilt & your replica of it. What a wonderful thing you are doing by continuing the quilting down through the generations.
    Here are pictures of both quilts. It was fun to connect, so to speak, with my grandmother but after having hand sewn 260 curved pieces, I was thankful that portion was done. Grandma's quilt is the blue, and white one, sorry it is sideways
    Name:  Great grandma's quilt.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  1.60 MBName:  my hand pieced quilt.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  1.44 MB
    Last edited by lolagrace; 04-08-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: adding more text

Welcome from a fellow South Dakotan. Maybe you can get a few days of quilting in with this next snow storm. Sure not happy about 12" - 20" of snow forecast this late in the season!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from vermont!

Hello from your neighbor in Minnesota!

Macybaby, I share your sentiment, I am not looking forward to this storm either.

Welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC. We're getting rain - but no snow thank goodness.

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! Your quilt is beautiful! ... and so is your grandmother's!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilts. I will be in your state next month as I drive from the West Coast to Missouri. Are there any quilt shops you would recommend? I believe I will be on highway 90 heading East, not sure which one I will take North to Saskatchewan.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Welcome from Southern California! Love your quilts.

Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Beautiful quilts. I will be in your state next month as I drive from the West Coast to Missouri. Are there any quilt shops you would recommend? I believe I will be on highway 90 heading East, not sure which one I will take North to Saskatchewan.
    Interstate 90 will bring you by spearfish, SD; Sturgis, SD; Rapid City, SD. In Spearfish there is Dakota Quilt Company, 1004 N. Main St., in Sturgis there is Fabric Junction, 1609 Junction and in Rapid City there are 3 shops: Fabric City/Sewing Center, 120 Knollwood Dr., Betty's Quiltery, 405 Canal St., Suite 1400, and Quilt Connection, 522 St. Joseph St. The stores in Rapid City are the closest to me, my fav is Fabric City/Sewing Center, then Betty's Quiltery. The Quilt Connection is in downtown Rapid City, parking can be a nightmare so I choose to not go there much at all. Happy, safe travels.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
    Welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC. We're getting rain - but no snow thank goodness.
    Now we're under a winter storm warning and blizzard warning too, just have to love South Dakota in the spring!

Thank you all for the comments on my quilts. I also have a crazy quilt made by a great aunt and a nine patch scrappy quilt made by my grandmother. I am so honored to have these in my possession, I treasure them all.

Lovely projects both! Welcome to the board. My brother was in South Dakota for a bit but glumly says it wasn't one of the nice parts...

My great-grandparents from my fathers side were in South Dakota before the Depression, I think that's when they moved to Tacoma (near Seattle).

It's so wonderful for those of you who come from quilting traditions. I didn't have quilters in my family or grow up with quilts but decided when I was still pretty young (high school) that I wanted to quilt. Made my first quilt in my senior year of high school and while many things have changed in my life over the past 40 years, quilting has connected them all. As I'm hoping to connect my quilts to the next generation.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so very much for the list of shops.

I will add them to my list of possible places to stop along the way.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Welcome from Oklahoma. Your quilts are great!
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.