Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from South Wales, UK >

Hello from South Wales, UK

Hello from South Wales, UK

Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Hello there.

I am a long time dressmaker/sewer fairly new to the quilting world. Four+ years ago I retired from full time teaching and tried out a quilt course - fatal, I was hooked. To date, however, I don't have a lot of finished quilts to my credit though I have several pieced tops completed and a stash of material that that might credit a veteran quilter!

I found the Quilting Board and have enjoyed browsing the messages. I have found some topics particularly helpful especially those relating to the Gracie II quilting frame. I found it very difficult manouevring the quilt under the sewing machine so I bought a frame. I do realise that good results will only come with practice, practice, practice, but I would really appreciate some hints and tips from anyone out there who is experienced on the frame.

I find that my greatest problem is with a balanced stitch. The top of the quilt looks acceptable (not good, stitch is not perfectly balanced) but the thread often lies flat on the back pulling down loops from the top. This is especially so on curved lines and stippling. The back does not looked "stitched" at all just covered in lines of thread with loops around. Please can anyone advise me, should I slow the speed down, or run the machine at full speed? I am using a Janome 6500 with the feed dogs dropped. This is a top loading machine and it has a balanced bobbin that I don't really want to disturb. Unfortunately, though I have had some advice from my supplier there are no courses or tutorials I can attend.

It will be very nice to hear any advice from Quilting Board members,all the messages I have browsed have been so friendly that I look forward to joining in.

Best wishes to you all.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi Andrea, Welcome! I don't have a Gracie, but I'm sure someone here will step up ands\ share their experience.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 PM

Hi Andrea, nice to meet you. And a big quilt hug welcome!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 PM

Welcome to the board. Hope to see you in the chat room.

Sondra
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM

Welcome! Hope to see your stuff soon!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM

Welcome! Sounds as if you really are hooked. I, too, started with a clothing background, then went to quilting. I like quilting better, but I still have to sew clothes....

M
Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Hi Andrea! Welcome! I hope I can offer you a bit of help with the stitching problem. I have a Janome machine, too. When the stitches from the bobbin are making "eyelashes" or loops, the tension on the bobbin is most likely the culprit. The easiest cure is to be sure both top and bottom threads are pulled to the top before you start to sew, as this sets the tension. Remembering to do that has cured 99.9% of the nasty waddy knots of thread I was getting when I first tried free-motion quilting. I thought I'd never get it right!!!

A nice comfortable speed as you go 'round those curves will help get even stitches and avoid the eyelashes. It's all in finding that comfortable speed--plus practice, like you said.

I haven't put my machine into a frame (Wish I could...limited room space!) But I have had great success learning to machine quilt without one. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM

Hi Andrea! Welcome! I hope I can offer you a bit of help with the stitching problem. I have a Janome machine, too. When the stitches from the bobbin are making "eyelashes" or loops, the tension on the bobbin is most likely the culprit. The easiest cure is to be sure both top and bottom threads are pulled to the top before you start to sew, as this sets the tension. Remembering to do that has cured 99.9% of the nasty waddy knots of thread I was getting when I first tried free-motion quilting. I thought I'd never get it right!!!

A nice comfortable speed as you go 'round those curves will help get even stitches and avoid the eyelashes. It's all in finding that comfortable speed--plus practice, like you said.

I haven't put my machine into a frame (Wish I could...limited room space!) But I have had great success learning to machine quilt without one. Keep us posted on your progress!

***PS:Sorry about the double posting! This has happened to me before. My Internet provider either doesn't Submit at times or doubles the whole thing. :oops:
Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 AM

Hi Andrea!! nice name!!!

Welcome to our cozy little quilting room here in Cyber Space! I absolutely love it here. There is amazing talent with these guys and gals and a ton of inspiration!!!

Cheers from across the pond!

Andrea
in Newfoundland, Canada
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 PM

Hi Andrea, I have absolutely no experience on anything you asked about, but I do want to welcome you to the quiltingboard and encourage you to show us the quilt tops you do have!