Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Southern NJ >

Hello from Southern NJ

Hello from Southern NJ

Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Hi! I am an off and on quilter that had recently gotten back into it again when I joined the quilting group at our Church.

I am currently working on a quilt from a magazine that the group chose, as well as some smaller projects at home. I have tons of fabric in my stash that I need to weed out, but I am not sure of the best way to get rid of it. Where would be the best place to ask those kind of questions?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Hi and welcome from central part of Indiana. Glad you could join us. :D
Heavens you don't want to just "get rid of stash" :lol:
We aspire to BIG fabric stashes here :D However you can feel free to discuss this further in Chit Chat.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Welcome from Southern California. Does your quilting group at church make quilts for charity? If so, some of the ladies there may want to use some of it for that. Also many quilt quilds take donation fabric that they then kit up for donation quilts. You could try getting ahold of your local quild. There are also folks on here that would gladly take some fabric donations, some are making charity quilts and some just can't afford to buy much fabrics. You could make an offer to give away, trade or even sell here on the board. Hope I have been of some help.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Some of this fabric has been kicking around my house for many years! I found some that I remember buying with a friend when we visited a Quilt Shop in CT when we were stationed there from 94-98. I figure I bought it in 96, probably. I just can't justify buying new fabric when I have stuff I won't use.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Yes, our group makes some charity quilts. Mostly baby ones and not a lot of what I have screams "baby quilt" to me.

I was just looking at the Block of the Month boards...that looks like a lot of fun!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Our guild makes quilts that go to all kinds of charities, including ones for abused women, and also childrens homes that have kids up through age 18. They love anything they get that they can call their own. Also a good place for donated quilts or fabrics for them is "Home of the Brave" quilts that go to surviving members of Military killed while on duty in Iraq or Afghanistan. I have made several Home of the Brave quilts. My DD#1 is in the Army, station in Bagdhad. 2 1/2 yrs ago she was in Afghanistan and they lost a couple members of their unit.

So you are a military wife? My DH spent 20 years in the Navy, he retired from there 6 years ago, or so. We also have 4 kids but as of Mid August last year we have an empty nest. Though I have my 3rd daughter home for the week for spring break from college.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Hi Gayle :) My husband retired from the Navy about a year and a half ago after 21 years in. We were married for 17 of those 21 years. It's been rough going since then, job-wise...especially lately. But we are managing. We have 4 children too, 16, 14 and 13 yr old girls and an 11 yr old boy.

I haven't heard of the "Home of the Brave" quilts...I'll have to look into that. Hubby wasn't sent over there, he was on submarines, although if he hadn't retired when he did, he would have been sent to Iraq for a year. That was part of the reason he retired when he did.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Hi and welcome from Mass.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM

At least "we" have our military retirement and the medical. My DH went to seminary got his masters degree and is now a pastor at the church we attended since being stationed in this area. I had to go to work when he retired, our kids were then in 6th, 8th, & 11th grades with one in her first year of college. We still earn less than when he was active duty combining his retire pay, pastor pay and my pay (I work part time for an accountant) Only way we were able to do that was because we still at least had our medical insurance. We also live near (10 miles) a base so I go out there and do our grocery shopping and stuff. My DH was an avaitor, he flew P-3's and C-130's. He misses the flying but enjoys working at the church.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:02 PM

That retirement check and the medical is the only reason we've been ok. He is supposed to be getting interviewed by a contractor that's located in Philly. But the interview includes a person from the command that they work with and that person seems to be on travel quite a bit so getting schedules coordinated is a hassle.

So mostly I've been trying to use up what I have in my stash...there are just some fabrics that aren't "speaking" to me.