help please!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 AM

I am new to the board and I am in desperate need of help.

Here is my problem.
I recently moved to Germany (my husband is in the military). When we got here I was horrified to find out that our movers not only used my quilt to wrap up a table, but it got wet and after 2 months of being in storage is now covered in mold stains. The quilt means a lot to me, my grandmother (now deceased) made it for me when I was a teenager.

I need some advice on how to get the stains out. I have tried Arm and Hammer laundry soap and also Milton sterilizing solution. Some of the stains have lighted, but they are not gone.

Also, we have to file a damage claim against the moving company and I need to figure out how much the quilt would be worth. As I said before I am in Germany, so my options are limited to the internet or via telephone. To me the quilt is priceless and irreplaceable, but I have to come up with a monetary value. Any suggestions?

Thanks

These picture are after attempting to clean it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212685[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212679.jpe   attachment-212680.jpe   attachment-212681.jpe  
Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 AM

oh my gosh! what a horrible thing they did!

Laying it in the sun my help..

so sorry for the trouble your going through with this cherished quilt!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 AM

Oh my Gawd!!! Iwould probably find an antique dealer or search out on the internet how to put a price on it even though there is no price acceptable for your loss, Also check with the movers to what your deductible is on your contract or if you bought extra insurance Good Luck!
Sandra
Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 AM

Baking soda and vinegar might take most of it out. Make a paste of baking soda and rub into the quilt, let set for a few minutes and then add a small amount of vinegar. Rinse and see if that helps.

Sorry for your loss. My daughter is also a military wife and has went through the same times many times.

Good luck. There is no price to compare with your keep sake.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 AM

Welcome from central Florida. Do you have access to OxyClean? That might help. It sure is a beautiful quilt!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Welcome from West Tennessee, the quilt is lovely, I'm so sad this happened. I'm afraid whatever removes mildew will also remove the vivid colors. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan.:)So Sorry about your quilt.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 AM

I know this is going to sound horrifying. but when the kids were little my son got his favorite shirt wet and hid it. When I found it it was covered in mildew. I put cold water in the sink and put in a cap of bleach. Let it stand a while and scrubed it aginst it self between both hands. I have also done blankets this way filling the washer with cold water and 1 cut of bleach before I put in the blankets. Don't have pictures but the mildew came out and did not fade any of the color in the blanket.

Hope this helps, sorry for your lose
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Banned

I am so sorry that this happened to you. What an aggravating heartbreak!!!! The tips you've been given by the board members are excellent, so I won't offer any more. If you are looking for a quilt appraiser, google Bobbie Aug. She might be able to help with a photo appraisal. I am including a YouTube video that might also help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jnc_rPKsCg
Old 06-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Most times, unless you have an actual insurance appraisal, the best you will get is a bulk rate settlement. My girlfriend moved and the movers did over $10,000 worth of damage to items that were extremely valuable and unique. In the fine print of the contract, it said that damage would be paid at so much a pound. She ended up with $500.
I wish you look in cleaning the quilt. This board is great for everything.