Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hey all, OK quilter/newbie here >

Hey all, OK quilter/newbie here

Hey all, OK quilter/newbie here

Old 11-22-2020, 06:09 AM

Default Hey all, OK quilter/newbie here

Hi! I've been sewing (self-taught) since 1996. IN that time, I've sewn lots of clothes, blankets, quilts in different sizes, handbags, tote bags, mug rugs, etc. Sewing is enjoyable for me, and the "therapy" from my day job: Special Needs HS teacher (moderate to sever disabilities). In the last 6 years my t-shirt quilting has increased with my school pals retiring and what not. So far, I've made 12 of them this year. These last 4 waiting will be the first start to finish production I've done. (I've bought a long arm machine that will be the latest machine to my hoard machine collection. Yes I need all of them....lol). I've also just recently branched out and started sewing with knit material, which I love too. (That's a vicarious dislike passed down from my family genes that's turned out to be easy with a serger/overlock machine.)

My hubs and I live in hot and windy Oklahoma, where yes the wind does blow all the time! I love it, and I love who I share it with. Got 3 kiddos, the "baby" is in HS....sigh...and a farm full of animals I raise for therapy and food....more therapy and happiness than anything!
Old 11-22-2020, 06:49 AM

Welcome Oklahoma girl! I am new here, too ... from Washington State. Your sewing journey sounds like a fun one! I am looking forward to hearing more about your projects and hoping to see some pictures!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:25 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! It is great to have you join us. Like you I have been sewing since the early 60's everything from clothing to quilts and my other items along the way. My daughter is a Middle School teacher for severely disabled kids. It seems there is no time for sewing with 2 little ones at home and a severely Autistic teen age son. I am teaching my granddaughter to sew. COVID has slowed this down for 2020. Hopefully we will get back to our sewing lessons in 2021. Ode to retirement! Joining here can prove to be addictive as you jump right in and find out just how many people get to know you and your skills. Again jump right in and join the fun. Welcome to the QB!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:35 AM

Wow, welcome and grats to you for all those T-shirt quilts. They are such nice mementos, but are a special skill set and I avoid making them if I can.

Grats as well to a long arm, I have a small house and would have to give up any pretense of a normal life and have the long arm in the living room and just live in a quilting studio instead of a house. Hubby is supportive of me should I happen on a good deal, but so far I've resisted. Unfortunately my unquilted tops stack is getting huge and maybe time is coming... Originally I figured when my son moved out, I'd put the long arm in the family room but instead I got a husband and his computer desk. Usually the hubby is a better deal than the long arm...
Old 11-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Hi OKgirl! Welcome to the board from central MS. Hope you will enjoy poking around here and chatting. Your farm life sounds wonderful. Please do share some pics of the animals....
Old 11-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.👋
Old 11-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Welcome from Idaho! Hope you’ll share your knowledge with us as time goes by. Sounds like you know what you’re doing in front of a needle.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:52 AM

Welcome from Maryland and happy quilting.