Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from Illinois >

Hi from Illinois

Hi from Illinois

Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 AM

Welcome from OHIO!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 PM

Hi from Northern IL! I am working on my first quilt project. My advice is watch Fons and Porter's Love of quilting. It is on by me Thursday afternoons on public television. Also, try hand quilting, just watch a highly rated Youtube tutorial. It is so rewarding and I love the look of hand work. I hand piece also, not sure how you sew and quilt. Best wishes! Oh, and check out books, magazines, dvds, whatever you can from your local library. If they don't have what you are looking for see if they can get it for you (interlibrary loan it). Great way to save money on books and magazines and find what interests you most.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Welcome Lee Ann. I am from Minnesota, so I am close to Illinois. <g>

As Deedum said in #3 check out Missouri Star Quilt Co. They do have great tutorials. I made the Christmas Tree Skirt and the Christmas Ornament from their tutorials in December.

Also when I am teaching beginning quilters to sew it is all about the 1/4 inch seam. I cut 2 5" wof pieces of cheap muslin and just have them sew 1/4 inch seam after quarter inch seam. After they sew the first seam we go to the cutting mat, measure their accuracy, cut off the area they just sewed and do it all over again until the 5" wof is down to 1 1/2". Then I give them a specific table runner pattern that is strip sewed, cut apart, and constructed with set in triangles for their first project.

But again to quote Deedum just enjoy and have fun. That is what quilting is all about.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:40 AM

Are you in the southern part of the state? There are shops located off the beaten path per se. My quilty friends know the pockets!

DUH! I just reread your original post! Southern Illinois!
sandy
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 AM

Hi Lee Ann. I am from Central Illinois. I love southern Ill and travel that way several times thru out the year. I hope to get to Paducah, Harrisburg area in the Spring. What part are you from? Welcome to the board, you will love it here. People are so great.