Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi I'm kate2 and I am new to this message board and also very new to quilting

I live in Lenoir,North Carolina it is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains
    I didn't really know how to get on the board,I hope this is alright.I have so many questions,I don't know where to start.I hope some of you will just send in information that will help me.one thing I would like to know is how is the easest way to get a 1/4" measurement.In the books I've been reading talks alot about this. Thank you for your help

kate2

Hi, and welcome from Southern California. There is lots to be learned here. If you go up to the search area and type in a basic topic, you will find lots of threads that explain most everything. As for the 1/4" - do you mean when you sew things together? For my machine, (which is all metric) I measured from the needle point and put a piece of painters tape on my machine at the 1/4" mark.

I did the same as Marjpf. I used moleskin that you buy in the pharmacy dept to mark it though. I've found the raise to it helps me stay in line better than tape.

Quote Originally Posted by MNQuilter
    I did the same as Marjpf. I used moleskin that you buy in the pharmacy dept to mark it though. I've found the raise to it helps me stay in line better than tape.
    Moleskin is a great idea! I think I'll chnage mine.

welcome to the board from montana

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the message board! Pull up a chair, and look though all the pictures and links! Don't be afraid to ask questions either, someone is always here to help! a wonderful group of women here!

Welcome from snowy Western PA. You came to the right place to ask lots of questions.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Welcome from Australia!

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kate2
    I didn't really know how to get on the board,I hope this is alright.I have so many questions,I don't know where to start.I hope some of you will just send in information that will help me.one thing I would like to know is how is the easest way to get a 1/4" measurement.In the books I've been reading talks alot about this. Thank you for your help

Buy a 1/4 inch foot for your machine. You won't be sorry, it will be money well spent. Enjoy your quilting and welcome to the board.

kate2

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!

Kate2, quarter inch presser foot is the easiest way. You might measure your presser foot depending on your machine you may have one that sews 1/4 inch.

Welcome. I used the painters tape when I started also. There are 1/4 inch presser feet that will help with your seams. Just remember, there are no quilt police, so just have fun.

Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    Welcome. I used the painters tape when I started also. There are 1/4 inch presser feet that will help with your seams. Just remember, there are no quilt police, so just have fun.

Welcome to the Board from Southern California!

Welcome from beautiful, snowy eastern PA!

Blog Entries
    Hi kate2,

greetings from the Sacramento area in CA.

The 1/4" seam allowance requires practice. I use a special 1/4" foot with my machine.

I would recommend that you start with an easy pattern where a 1/4" seam is not as important. When I first started quilting, I made sure that my seams were consistent. I KNOW that they were far from 1/4"

I'm new too. I use my sewing foot set at 1/4 inch. thats the easist way for me.

Welcome Kate2 - you and I can learn things together!

Welcome to the board! you will love it here!!!

Welcome from Snowy White Mountains in California. Ask lots of questions, it keeps everyone busy finding answers for you and we all love to stay busy.

What kind of moles do you find at the pharmacy and how do they skin them? Do they use the common ground varity or are these moles special?

Seriously what is moleskin?

Quote Originally Posted by MNQuilter

Hi and welcome from VA. I've only been a Quilting Forum enthusiast for a couple of months, but it's been an invaluable source of information. If I have a question, all I have to do is think about it and you will soon find something about it on the Forum. Anything from 'wash or don't wash fabric' to sewing machine questions. You'll love it.

Hi Kate2. Welcome from oh boy it is cold outside here in Michigan. Great weather for quilting.

You can buy Moleskin at the drugstore, or in the health and beauty aids section of a department store. It is the stuff our grandmothers, moms and maybe now even us use to pad corns on their feet. It is in the Dr. Scholl section, or ask at the pharmacy. It is pinkish color. I prefer it to mark my 1/4" line.
    Linda

Welcome from Oklahoma. So glad you could join us. If you have questions, we have answers.

Hello, and welcome from Oklahoma.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast