Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine >

Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 AM

WELCOME!! Scientists, engineers, and mechanics make the very best kind of quilters because they understand the step by step process. My advice is to keep it simple to start. You can teach yourself to sew. Just get out your manual, make sure you thread the machine properly and have at it with some fabric scraps. You don't have to buy these! Just cut up an old cotton blouse, shirt, even worn jeans you were planning to pitch.
DO NOT let yourself get frustrated! Slow and easy gets it done. You will find a world of help here, at your local library and local quilt/fabric shops. A beginner's class will really start a fire under you as well as give you confidence, help and Quilty friends!
Wish I were closer. Teaching one on one is such fun!
OMT, the simpler your machine the better at the beginning. The electronics on most of the newer models make them sophisticated enough to make your breakfast BUT lots can go wrong. I prefer the older more mechanical models for myself. "Each to his own as the old lady said when she kissed the cow!"
Most of all, have fun!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 AM

First, just play with the machine until you are very comfortable with it, then start adding to your knowledge by doing small projects and work up as you can.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Welcome from another "honey".......I too just retired and have been learning how to quilt, after sewing for years. If you are a self teacher I would encourage you to go to library and get most basic books on quilting; watch the myriad of tutes available and then contact a local quilt shop for lessons. When I took lessons for beginner in May I didn't think teacher was thorough enough. I didn't know how to correctly use a rotary cutter nor a mat and only learned when I did something wrong.

Good luck and hope to see the efforts of your labor sometime in the future !
Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 AM

I started six years ago with an ADVANCED quilting class and a HOW TO USE A SEWING MACHINE class as well!!! I spent two sessions in the sewing class learning how to thread the machine! My friends and I learned so much from the other quilters but the teacher really didn't want to teach us basics so I, being a retired teacher, asked if I could start a BEGINNING quilting class and we would learn together. That's what we have done! We have been doing this for about four/five years now and it is fun. We have added new people and we explain we are ALL beginners so we share our triumphs and woes of sewing. It is wonderful! Enjoy and welcome to the world of quilting.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 09-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Hi from Ms.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Welcome from Oklahoma
Old 09-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Welcome from NV.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Welcome neighbor.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
Welcome from coastal central Florida!
You might want to check out a local quilt store for a basic class. See if there is a local quilt guild. Check out books from your library. If you are more of a do-it-yourself type there are Tutorials on the Board and tons of YouTube videos. It's basically mastering the scant 1/4" seam and keeping everything squared up. Getting better takes a lifetime of fun!
Well said, and I'd like to suggest that you look our thread about sewing tips here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=3335