Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine >

Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

Old 09-24-2011, 02:20 PM

Welcome, hope you find you love sewing and quilting.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Welcome from S.E. Texas!
You've found a great place for learning all sorts of new things! :)
Old 09-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Welcome from San Gabriel, California
Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Welcome from Oklahoma. This QB is awesome. If you have any questions or problems, there's always someone there to help you. Good luck with your sewing class in October.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Lowell, MA and welcome to the world of quilting, you're gonna love it. I would definitely start by taking a beginner quilting class and a basic sewing machine is fine to start. You need to get comfortable with your machine and what you and it can do together. You can also look online here on QB, as well as tutorials. I like going to the Quilt in a Day website and watch Eleanor teaching some of her techniques, as well as other quilting sites. Strart slow with a simple block and pattern and you'll get your feet wet in no time and quickly become addicted. Best of luck to you and welcome to quilting.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Welcome from NJ and best wishes in your adventure Most of all ENJOY
Old 09-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Welcome from the Bay Area of California! We were all beginners once upon a time, so don't let the process scare you or make you nervous.

If you just HAVE to make something to start, why not try a putting a border around a small pretty panel, then put some fleece on the back of it and sew it together practicing your straight lines? It's simple and will teach you a lot about how to use your machine.

Best part about classes, you get to meet others just like yourself who want to learn. Their friendship will be really helpful as you get going.

Just do it! Welcome to the board and have fun!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:29 PM

Welcome from the show me state.
here is a great newbe site.
http://www.how-to-quilt.com/
Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Welcome from Omaha, NE.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
Welcome from coastal central Florida!
You might want to check out a local quilt store for a basic class. See if there is a local quilt guild. Check out books from your library. If you are more of a do-it-yourself type there are Tutorials on the Board and tons of YouTube videos. It's basically mastering the scant 1/4" seam and keeping everything squared up. Getting better takes a lifetime of fun!
Well said!! I taught a beginners adult class and this is how I started them off. You can do this on your own (but I do recommend viewing the videos). 1. Get a nice weight light colored cotton fabric and cut it into strips of about 5 inches wide (so you can have something to really hold onto. You can cut them down into narrower pieces later on when you get the hang of it. 2. DRAW a line 1/4 inch from the right edge of the fabric. 3. With your left hand slide the fabric under the presser foot, lining up the needle as close as your eye can judge. 4. With your right hand, manually turn the wheel until the needle goes right through the line. 5. Put the presser foot down and slowly begin to sew going as slow as you need to go to follow the line. [You can also practice on lined paper without thread in the machine.] Do this until you are able to "sew a straight line." One you are able to manage the machine with a piece of fabric, you are ready to begin sewing two pieces of fabric together. IMHO, this is where to begin if you've NEVER sewed. Learn your machine first.

Oh, and welcome from South Louisiana. You'll find answers to your questions here. And you'll also get LOTS of valuable opinions. Good luck and happy quilting.