Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome from New York.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by TxHoneybee
Hi! I am a true newbie from San Antonio, Tx. I have been admiring quilts that others have made for quite some time. And though I only own one, I've been wanting to learn how to make my own for years. Now as I draw closer to retirement, I find that I really want to learn how now. I hope this doesn't sound insane though...I need to learn how to sew first! I hope my years as a microbiologist will help me in the details! If anyone can help with suggestions of how I should start, I would appreciate it. In fact, if there are threads I should read that would help please share with me. Oh, do y'all think my basic singer sewing machine, 5838c, can get me started or should I start saving for a much better sewing machine? Thanks ladies!
Welcome from Indianapolis, IN. I know you are kind of old to join but you might look around for a 4H group to "help" or you could just go to your county agent office and buy a 4H beginner sewing project manual. Sounds dumb but they really do cover the basics and have good instructions.
Great Idea! Never thought about that!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM

First, may I suggest you read the manual for your machine, also contact your local fabric store to find out if they have a beginners sewing class, once you learn the basics, you will be so much more confident, you will be great, just be patient :thumbup: :D, By the way, welcome from Central California
Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by chilly25
Hello and welcome Honeybee.
Hope to meet you soon I also live in San Antonio Tx maybe we can get together and make some of those lovely mug rugs everyone here seems to be making.
Chilly25
I'd love to meet with you sometime, and if any other ladies from QB are from our area would like to get together for lunch and for some quilting supply shopping that would be great too! There is a shop downtown that has peaked my interest.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Welcome from another fellow Texan. I'm new too, but don't be afraid. You learn from your mistakes....
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. My Singer only came with a piece of paper with a schematic for how to thread the machine/needle. Oh and how to wind a bobbin. I didn't even know what the various feet were that came with the machine. I downloaded something that gave me the names of the different included parts. But that's okay, I'm sure between your help, and the sewing/quilting instructors, and the web, I will figure it out. Thanks again for making me feel so welcomed!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 PM

Welcome! :)
Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 AM

Welcome from DFW! I took a beginner's class at Joanne's and found it to be really helpful.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 AM
QM
Power Poster

Welcome aboard. If there is a local guild/quilt class set up, that may, indeed, help you. When I retired and moved, my new new neighbor informed me that I was going to be a quilter. I got lots of help and sugggestions from the local guild. After 445 quilts, I guess I now qualify. Quilters in general are very helpful people. So be sure to ask when yoou have a question. This site has lots of helpful people.

Please don't make the mistake I did. I was determined that I did not need a walking foot to quilt in straight lines or to drop feed dogs to do free motion quilting. I was wrong. Make sure you like the colors/fabrics/patterns you start, that makes the work easier. Even very simple patterns can be lovely. One important thing is to decide what you really want to make, but it's a good idea to keep your first project fairly small. My personal suggestion is a tube quilt because they look "fancy" without a huge amount of labor.

Good luck.