Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Howdy from South-East Texas >

Howdy from South-East Texas

Howdy from South-East Texas

Old 11-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Smile Howdy from South-East Texas

Hey everyone, I am Steve! I live in south east Texas and just recently started sewing on major project (for me). I know it is a bit odd for a male to be seen anywhere near a sewing machine, or wandering around the fabric aisles at a local shop for that matter, but here I am! The closet sewer!

I have tinkered with some minor projects in the past like pillow cases and a blanket-kit for my kids, but just recently started on a quilting project. I have seen a few of the posts from other members that stated that they love to help the beginners, so I am hoping you can all share your knowledge with me!

Just as a bit of background on me - I am a free-thinker and technically inclined, yet some would call me artistically challenged. I love to work on projects ranging from remodeling the house to maintaining numerous fish tanks but when it comes to sewing, I am just grasping at cards and trying to figure out techniques that work for me. I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel not long ago and may have surgery in my very near future, so that is a bit of struggle for me as well, but being able to sit at the table and create something is exciting for me, even if it is as simple as the miniature Kleenex covers I dabbled with over the weekend.

My wife is supportive and provides the encouragement I need (even though she thinks I am a little nuts) and patiently accompanies me to the store and gives me ideas and suggestions. Both of our grandmothers were into sewing; hers by hand and machine, mine by hand only (a machine was a luxury she could not afford), so my wife knows a bit but is not interested in the actual activity herself.

I know this started to turn into an autobiography, so I will just stop while I am ahead and await some feedback.

Regards,
Steve
Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Hello, Steve and welcome from Corpus Christi. You will soon find out there are many male members on this board. Many sew and maintain some just maintain. I'll let them tell you their stories. Many are enjoying the board. Everyone welcomes every little contribution of shared ideas and tips and tricks. We learn from each other. I at a plateau of not doing much at all but others are just really moving right along. So again, welcome to the board.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Welcome Steve from Southern California. We have a few men on this site. Even after quilting for almost 30 years, I still post questions. I hope you find the inspiration that I do from this board.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Hello and Welcome from Dallas Tx. area. There are many men who sew. Most of our tailors are probably men, so dig in and love it.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:05 PM

Hi Steve,
Welcome from Connecticut (but previously Raymondville, Texas). I used to participate in an antique and vintage sewing machine forum and I'd say half the members were male, and most of them used their machines for various sewing projects, both business and pleasure. I like the meditative aspect of quilts - once I have the design and construction strategy clear in my head. Keep us posted on your projects!
James
Old 11-11-2015, 03:10 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome, it means a lot!

Since my newest project is a quilt, I am sure I will have a few questions (okay so maybe a TON of questions) as I progress.

Regards,
Steve
Old 11-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 11-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Another warm welcome from Southern California!
Old 11-11-2015, 04:30 PM

Welcome from south west Ontario Canada - there's always someone here ready to help answer questions and problem solve if needed. So, ask away!