Howdy!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM

Welcome Eliza! I too have just come from behind the curtain. Long ago I made two pillows all by hand. The piece work and the quilting. I found it so relaxing.
I moved to south coastal GA 20 years ago and when I moved here, there were no places where we could get any mexican food.............I had lot of friends that came from Texas and they taught me to make tortilla's from scratch. There is nothing like a warm fresh tortilla.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 AM

Welcome Eliza! :D
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 AM

Welcome Eliza!

I'm also from West Texas, in the panhandle. There are a few of us here from Texas.

I admire your hand quilting. I cannot do it. I have tried, and I do not have the patience. I am so very slow at it!

The only other thing I have to say is, mmmmm fresh tortillas!

Robbi
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
DCJ

Welcome Eliza! It sounds like you have some interesting projects going on!

That is so sweet of you and your group to make those kids quilts, but I feel the need to mention that they are not Mormon! They are a break off and the Mormon (LDS) church has nothing to do with how they run things in that group. I'd imagine it's no fun to be indentified with that group!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Hi DCJ-- you are absolutely correct -- the group is a break off -- and with all the information that is being revealed -- it is not getting better.

A bead store nearby has also made a cross in honor of each of the children and has given them to the community in an effort to remind everyone to pray for each one of them!!! There is much work to be done and we can only pray that it comes to a good end.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 PM
DCJ

I agree, I've not heard good things and it breaks my heart to think of what those children went through! It sounds like there are a lot of great people in your community!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Hi there, Nice to meet you. Recognised the prickly pear, we have them here to, tasted one for the first time when I came to Spain to live. You are so going to love just doing your own thing and not having to do something someone else wants.

Sat out finishing off my second quilt but it got to 102 and I started to cook so finishing the rest off tonight.

Good luck with your quilting Elle
Old 05-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Eliza-welcome!! So glad you are with us too!! Yes, I started on my Dear Jane..about half way thru...am presently working on the Civil War Diaries and Love Letters...(so have parked DJ)once I get the 2 caught up, I am back to jane:))That is how I learned to quilt!! You will love it. I took my book up to an office supply store and had them cut my binding and put a spiral in for a few bucks as to make page turning and the ability to leave it open while I worked. You will love the CD...very good thing!!:))I will be posting pics of my blocks soon as I promised bebe I would. They are seperate and in a 3ring binder in plastic sleeves:))Maybe it will motivate me to at least sew some of my rows together:))Glad to have you and remember one really important thing....too much talent is wasted at work!! (I know it is survival for most! Me too)Artistic people are meant to create!!:))And, thus...another door will open!! Keep it up!! Skeat
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM

PS Eliza...I too handquilt and love it . In fact am getting ready to baste one to do..which might take me 5yrs to finish..but, that is okay. I also love to machine quilt on my sewing machine...and, piece both ways also. My prob is I want to make so many and hand quilting slows me down:))I also can my own grown produce, make jams and do our own chickens and beef...:0)So, it isn't dead yet!! It's what I call survival here:))And, fresh!!:))Skeat (Check your local library for books on handquilting...very inspiring espec Jenny Beyers-my favorite!)
Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 AM

welcome aboard....I hope you will enjoy this site as much as all of us...
Friendly great people....with a lot of help and tips....