Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I forgot to introduce myself >

I forgot to introduce myself

I forgot to introduce myself

Old 06-29-2021, 03:35 PM

Default I forgot to introduce myself

Hello I am from Orcas Island, Washington. I was lucky enough to be invited to a local sewing circle before the pandemic started. I was crocheting at the time and still continuing to complete a blanket that I am trying to make for my son. He has been watching it slowly grow with each row added and loves to lay on it and play when I have a moment to work on it. The other ladies there were happy to see me there, and one asked me if I was interested to see if I wanted to try to sew. I explained my situation and that yes the there would be so many things that I wish to do but trying to do them via hand sewing has made it more difficult to complete some things. The following time I was invited to go again (and sadly the last time I had a chance) I am as given my Singer 301, she explained that she received it years ago as a gift, and since she had another it was time for it to have a new home and she didn’t know who to give to until we met. I was very shocked and grateful and couldn’t stop thanking her, and when I was home I tried to do as much research online and amazed at the moment realizing what I have. I have been going through the manual and she also did research as well and left a sticky note with the same conclusion that I had. I am grateful for the chance to get this and I am happy to have come across your forum and what a community of individuals that are positive with their opinions and I appreciate this opportunity to continue to grow more adept at this machine and chance to interact with fellow enthusiasts who embrace their skills.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:51 PM

Oh such a wonderful story. You will enjoy your "new" sewing machine and the art of quilting. sewing anything can be such fun. you Crochet so you have loads of talent already. Have fun!
Old 06-29-2021, 07:03 PM

Living on Orcas Island and having a "new" sewing machine! You are lucky! Welcome from Southern California.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:35 PM

Wow! You're the second person I've known who lived on Orcas Island! I have my mother's 301 and love it. They are such wonderful machines to piece on. Such a beautiful straight stitch.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:42 PM

Default Thank you all

That is awesome to hear some of you being along the west coast I have enjoyed a lot of site we have cherished through all three states. I am so glad to have come across this site and it is such a great feeling for me to know that you either had a chance have one, or a family member that had a chance to use, let alone even know what the kind of machine it is. I am so happy to have a great opportunity to talk to others to help expand my knowledge and what kind of things to be able to create now. Thank you all and I know this year is helping me to a better future for my family as well.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 06-30-2021, 03:37 AM

Welcome from another beautiful water state, Michigan. Explore this site and find more friends who quilt, sew, crochet, embroider and just about any other craft that involves thread and fabrics.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:39 AM

Welcome to the QB. It sounds like you will have years of sewing on your wonderful machine. Yes, it is quite the find but more over it is what it will do for you as it is a work horse. Jump right in and join the fun. Learn many new skills there is a lot of information shared here. Best of luck.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:23 AM

Howdy, northern neighbor. While I have been to Orcas Island it was many years ago when I was still a girl... so many years ago.

I am "near Seattle" that is specifically Renton, very near the Seahawks Facility.

Those 301s are lovely machines, they were sort of overlooked for many years due to the popularity of the Featherweight, but their value is going up. I have one, it is my only Singer and I just had it out and working the other day when I had someone come by for some sewing help. Last year it spent some time at my neighbor's making masks.

Many of us here are fans of vintage machines. The biggest thing you need for quilting is a good steady straight stitch. Sure... we see those shows and things and machines that can send us text messages and it is so cool what some machines can do... but all you really need, especially to start, is a good steady straight stitch.

And maybe some company -- which you have both at home and now on the boards
Old 07-01-2021, 10:40 PM

Default Wow amazing

I am so glad that I have new friends here close to my neighborhood, to across the way still enjoying being near water like me, and to knowing more people that truly enjoy their hobby and experience that they share or even know where to turn to when I have questions and curious inquiries. I am so thankful for everyone taking a moment to say hi and where they are enjoying their niche and feeling the positive attitude it makes this place so warm and I appreciate your attitude and understanding. Thank you again for helping me and I hope to help out too in the future somehow because I am just now starting with this and I am currently enjoying my time going through the machine and maintaining her while going through some of Andy’s videos through YouTube which a member recommended me to look at. It has been a great step forward to making sure I will be a positive companion to this piece for years to come.