Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I'm new to quilting >

I'm new to quilting

I'm new to quilting

Old 12-08-2006, 07:19 AM

Hi: I have wanted to quilt for many years and have a million books, patterns, materials and templates. Now all I have to do is sit myself down and begin :lol: Hopefully this forum will get me moving, I have great intentions all I need to do is follow through.. hoping to get rid of this lazyness and stop putting off getting started. Has anyone else been through this. I have a sewing room full of stuff that could keep me busy for many years. Chris
Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 AM
PJ

Welcome to this forum Chris. I just love the newsletter and really learn tips and techniques. However, I have to make time from my busy schedule to indulge my desire to quilt. So I know how you feel. I just started again this year. So I will encourage you!!!!!!!!
Priscilla (PJ)
Old 12-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks PJ. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I walk into my sewing room and look at all the cool stuff I have to work with and think I'm a fool for not living in here :wink: and then I go and do other work . I need to get up in morning walk into sewing room and stay there.. I bought 6 different panels to make lap quilts for my 6 Grandchildern.. backing batting and ordered and recieved Flynn machine quilting frame.. I have it 1/2 put together and it would take me maybe 15 minutes to finish it. I am holding Christmas Dinner here on the 17th and I need them finished by then... So today I finished everything else so I have no excuse.... maybe I'm just lazy.. I love to sew and have done so for more years then you have probably been old enough to know what a sewing machine is. I have made everything from wedding gowns, Mens suits, to diappers and I'm nervious about quilting these lap quilts. Does'nt figure does it. Chris
Old 12-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Boo

Chris, one thing that helps me is to set a timer. Start with a half hour. Take a timer to the sewing room and only sew till the timer goes off. Get up and get yourself a beverage, a coffee or whatever. Each time you go to sew, do it with the intention of short period of time. They will add up!

Regarding the quilting, just plan on doing straight line quilting with your walking foot. You are in a time crunch, so don't put additional stress on yourself by trying to be creative. I know that most of the stress I place on myself is not necessary. Remind yourself that finished is better than perfect and that quilting is fun. We are our own worst critics anyway. The recipient of the gift will be grateful for the love you put into their gift. Never, (are you listening?), never point out flaws or claim it not very good. Do you really want your loved one to think you care so little of them you would give them a broken gift? Of course not!!! The gift is from your heart and your hands. The quilted item is what you wrap.

Enjoy your holidays and your family. My sister did a Thanksgiving dinner for 28 and did all the cooking prior to Thanksgiving. She only had to heat everything before serving. Now that is a way to alleviate stress!! Wonder how she got to be so smart. :lol:
Old 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM

Thanks Boo: and your right. and if I treat it as a job that I have to attend at certain time and had breaks it would get me on track. Thanks. And your sister is smart maybe she had a smart sister to learn from. Chris
Old 12-08-2006, 11:55 AM

My mother did the same thing. She made quite a few interesting quilts then got into checking out supplies and ordering things to quilt with and wah lah she never got back to the quilts. lol.

My advice is. Pick a pattern. Force yourself down and make the first square. Then tah dah you will be hooked. Your curiosity will take over because you will have to see what the end result will be. lol

Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 PM
PJ

Wow, Thanks for all of the cool advice. I take spurts myself and try to finish everything at one time. The problem with that is then I don't want to do anything for a while. Maybe working a little each day is better. I will have some free time today. I think I hear my sewing room caling me. Have a great day.
PJ