Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Introduction

Hello from Cape Cod! I have been quilting for about 10 years but it sometimes takes a back seat to work and to my counted cross stitch, crocheting and knitting. I have made a quilt for each of my 4 grandsons but other than that my quilting consists of smaller projects as my work space is limited. I love scrap quilting and my latest quilt (which is almost done) is the Bear Paws pattern done with scraps left from pajamas, shorts, etc that I made for my grandsons. I also enjoy using up my scraps in strip quilting. After the holidays I hope to tackle some paper piecing. I'm amazed at the number of sites available on the web that offer free patterns!

I'm new to chat boards but hope to hear from some of you.

Judyjo

Hi Judyjo! We've something in common--I grew up in MA and most all of my family still lives in the South Shore area. Winter or summer, I love Cape Cod and get there whenever I'm home to visit. All the New England history and the fabric and quilt shops...love it! I haven't tried paper piecing yet, myself. I have several books. I'll give it a try this coming year, too. Maybe we can compare notes!

Hi Leslee........nice to hear from someone who LOVES Cape Cod. One of our sons now lives in Ohio, not far from Lake Erie. He always comes "home" between Christmas and New Years (we have our family celebration then). No matter how cold or windy, or stormy, we must take a walk on the beach! One of our grandsons also must always see the water every day when he's here visiting. Guess it's in the blood!

Already I can't wait to finish up all my Christmas projects so I can start working on all the ideas that are floating around in my head.

Judyjo

This is more than a coincidence...my parents both worked at Stop & Shop, too! Dad finally retired 10 years ago, but Mom still stocks shelves part-time at 74. Doubt she'll ever retire. I can't manage to get her to try quilting, she claims not to know which end of the needle the thread goes through. :roll: I just love this message board idea, don't you? I've posted a couple of questions and got all kinds of answers and encouragement. Been quilting & sewing for 30 years and always learning something new! :lol:

OK....let's dig a little deeper. Where on the south shore did you live? We lived in Randolph for 25 years before retiring down here on the Cape. I too have been sewing for what seems forever. While in Randolph I worked as a church secretary. I've only worked for Stop and Shop for 6 years. My mother taught me to sew when I was little and I have made a lot of own clothes up until a few years ago. Once the grandchildren came along I did a lot of sewing for them. I started quilting probably about 15 years ago when I took a course that was being run by the Adult Education dept. in Randolph. I think it was about a 6 week course and touched on a lot of different patterns. Now that I'm not doing as much sewing for myself or "my boys" I'm doing more quilting and really enjoying it! Just finished a quilt for my youngest grandson. All 4 now have quilts made by "Gramma Jo". I'll be posting a pic soon.

JudyJo

Cool! I grew up mostly in Rockland. My parents have settled (finally!) in Middleboro, which I suppose is closer to Rhode Island than Boston. Mom always had dreams of settling on the Cape and I have to admit I fell in love with it myself years ago. Something about the ocean and those beautiful old towns. Mom and I once fabric-shop hopped from Weymouth clear through the Cape one summer weekend and about drove my father crazy! Right now I've been sewing machine comparison shopping as my latest project (it is SOOOOO confusing, and pricey!) My sewing's done on a darling Singer from the 1930's and I'd like to give her a break.

I'm still using my trustee ole basic Kenmore!

What a cool idea. I made a blue jean quilt for my oldest Grandson once, from cut offs I did for him in the summer time. He still has it. Sewed buttons on some of the squares. Wrote a poem and put it on the back of the quilt. Only things is my daughter washed it to much and the poem came off. It was the iron on kind.

I do not sew but wonder if someday I can con some material scraps from my DIL. I am hoping she will get the quilting but as the boys get older tho as neither of my daughter are that interested.

oops meant the quilting bug. lol.

Hi Leslie:
    Nice reading your bio. Years ago we lived in Rhode Island when my husband was in the Navy at Quonset Point. I loved all the textile shops that were adjacent to the textile mills in the Rhode Island area. I also loved Cape Cod. We have many fond memories of visiting the Cape, looking at the Kennedy compound from across the bay and visiting Plymouth Rock. We had a great 2 years on the east coast. Now we are on the West coast and love the beach, the mountains and my passion is quilting even tho I've only been at it for a couple short years. I take every class I can take through our local community college and I belong to a quilt guild with 12 other ladies who are wonderful teachers, mentors and friends. I'm a retired social worker and spend my free time making quilts for foster kids, Assisted living patients and Vet's Homes with my quilt guild friends. You said you are machine shopping... I have a Memory Craft 8000 New Home machine that I love and an inexpensive Brother machine that I use for all my classes. Both are wonderful machines. My last machine was a Kenmore that I used for about 35 years then gave it to our daughter when I got the New Home. She said she finally "retired" the machine a few weeks ago so it gave great service to our family for at least 40 years! Keep sewing! Have a great holiday.
    Randy

Nice to meet you, Randy! You sound like me...all over the known world plus some. I like what you wrote about the older sewing machines, they're built like solid rock. And they're works of art. There's beautiful goldleaf stencil on the old Singer in the sewing room, and I've got sticker shock beyond belief from looking at these computerized wonders on the market today. Tomorrow may be the day I take the plunge and pick up the Bernina, tho. Watch them come out with the latest and the greatest ever model on Monday...just my luck! But I need another solid workhorse of a machine. I put 'em through the tortures of heck... :twisted:

Hello, my name is Toni Dorame and I am from Tucson, Arizona. I have lived in the southwest all my life. I am very very new to quilting and I hope you all have the patience for my questions. I took a 3 week quilting class but I still have a lot to learn especially the terminalogy. I would like to know what "echo quilting" is. During our long hot summers, I love to sit by the pool and read my quilting magazines, especially books on fat quarter. I eagerly await a reply from someone.

Hi Toni! Welcome to the group! Echo quilting is simply following an outline pattern. If you appliqued a circle, the first line of quilting would be "in the ditch" around it, the next row would be done an inch or less around that to make an "echo" and continue in equal spaced rows like a quilted bull's eye. It's the style most often seen on Hawaiian or Tahitian style quilts, it reminded the island women of the ocean waves that surrounded them. It's not unique to Hawaii, but it is the most common quilting pattern found there.

Thank you so much Leslee, this is one sure way for me to keep on learning. I plan on continuing to do this, I really , really love it.

Toni

I know you will :lol: ! We're all a nice assortment of Crazy here...just chime on in whenever you like!

Hi. I'm Betty from Texas. I'm interested to know just what you mean by "strip piecing". I have a large accumulation of fabric that I have received from friends and purchased at garage sales and thrift. I also rip up gently used garments for the fabric. The fabrics received from friends are frequently scraps left over from garments that they have made and are odd sizes. Ripping up garments also gives me odd size pieces. I need ideas for using up this mess of fabric. Due to a disability, I cannot use the scissors to cut out shapes. I can and do use a rotary cutter, but it is not easy to cut a block to exact size. My dominant hand trembles. I won't give up quilting! I need new ideas to use up all this fabric.

Talking about a workhorse macnine, while my husband was on an unaccompanied overseas tour of duty a hundred years ago, I bought a Viking portable. It was a plain Jane machine, but it would sew through anything. I wish I had it now. A year or two after my husband came home, he traded my Viking for a machine in a cabinet. By that time I was pregnant again, and he thought the Viking too heavy for me to be lifting. I don't remember the brand name of the machine he traded for. All I remember is that it didn't last long. I'm now using a Singer Schoolastic and am satisfied with it. Will keep using it until they make a sewing machine whose stitches look like hand quilting.

Randy, the confusion of machine shopping finally ended this past Wednesday. I took a deep breath and opted for the Memory Craft 6600P from Janome, and even tho it's only been 3 days I'm totally happy. It's more like furniture than portable (25 lbs!) but aside from taking her to the "learning lessons" I get, I doubt I'll be hauling her to a quilting class. Can't wait for the days to quiet down a bit so I can get some free time!

Hi Leslie:
    How wonderful you got a Memory Craft. I have the 8000 and love it. It's a work horse and it does wonderful embroidery and about anything else I might want it to do except wash dishes and the toilet! I took mine to quilt classes a time or two and a friend had a fit because she was afraid I'd bump it and screw up the computer so I went to Wally World and bought a Brother XR-65t for classes. I LOVE the Brother, too. I actually like the decorative stitches from the Brother better than from my Memory Craft. Have fun. Glad you got a new machine. Keep Sewing. Randy

Hi Betty: Glad to have you join us. Strip Piecing is sewing strips of fabric (the same width or of different widths) together the long way then sub-cutting them to desired sizes for blocks. I have made a couple quilts using strip piecing...it goes fast and depending how you lay your sub-cut blocks gives you a nice stair step pattern or even a "woven-looking" pattern. I'm attaching a picture of a quilt I helped a friend make for a foster child. It's strip pieced then all the long (WOF) strips are cut into
    2 1/2 inch strips crosswise so you get the pattern "pink, floral, white,dark floral" as in the picture I'm attaching. Hope this helps you. Keep on Sewing.
    Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Betty...here is another example of strip quilting. Very similar to Randy's except I had enuf left over flannel (from flannel pj's) to make this quilt for one of my grandsons. No color scheme was planned....I just joined the strips, cut, then sewed into this pattern. The 3 outside sashing strips were just added until I had the right size.

Judyjo

Josh's quilt....12/2004
    Name:  Attachment-479.jpe
Views: 3
Size:  67.9 KB

could someone please helpme, i used a chalk pencil to mark my quilts,i then washed them cold water after i saw my marks did not come out I rewashed them in warm water, the marks are still there is there anything i can do to make the marks go away or is it to late?

Terri

Many thanks to both og you. I especially appreciated the pictures of the sample quilts. As it is said, a picture is worth a thousand words.