Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Just leaning quiltinq - AM SO CONFUSED >

Just leaning quiltinq - AM SO CONFUSED

Just leaning quiltinq - AM SO CONFUSED

Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida! You'll get all the help and info you need from the fantastic board!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Welcome from Illinois. Watch every show or video that you can, read every book that you can, and, if possible, take some beginner quilting classes. I try to avoid the $50+ supplies type classes but if you shop around and ask at you local LQS (local quilt store) you may find some that are cost effective. And ask questions---a lot!
The "grain" is the weave of the fabric. Straight with the grain usually means that it would run parallel to the selvege edge (which should be removed rather than used in a quilt)
Old 03-30-2010, 05:44 AM

I have also used painters tape to hold the backing against the floor and basting spray. Always start in the middle and work your way outward, smoothing as you go.

Welcome to the list. I'm a newbie here myself and have really enjoyed the tutorials section.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 AM

Hello and welcome from Oklahoma.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by lovinquilting
Hello - just learning quilting. Have made a couple but am so confused. No matter how I try, I still have trouble understanding cutting terms - like cut straight of grain, lengthwise, crosswise, etc. This is JUST A WHOLE NEW WORLD TO ME. Next BIG problem - cutting backing and then putting it on so that it does not "bunch" up. Am trying to teach myself and I am lost! Any help you can give will be so greatly appreciated.
Practise practise practise. You have no idea how important that scant 1/4" seam is. And practise cutting strips correctly - sew some blocks and measure and see how you did. We all started and learned as we went. I think it is important to take at least one beginner class. Because of the short cuts you will learn and especially the use of the tools. I need things demo'd for me!!!
good luck & welcome.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...um/welcome.gif[/img] So glad that you joined us :D:D:D
Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Welcome and keep practicing.

The most important thing I've learned about keeping things from bunching is that you have to use at least three times as many pins as you think you need!

When I think I'll only need a pin every third square or some other foolish shortcut, I learn the hard way that I really did need a pin every couple inches.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Hello and welcome from the sunshine state.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

If you are confused, then you are in a good place on the QB. Lots of people here to lend a hand (or idea, or support). Just don't give up.

Did you see the Help for Newbies adoption thread in the main section? Maybe you just need to hook up with a more experienced quilter who can help you through the process.