Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never qilted before HELP

Hi everyone my name is Paula I am wanting to buy a hasqvarna quilting machine with the intention of trying my hand at quilting it looks like it could be very rewarding, never quilted before and very little sewing experience could any of you kind people tip me off on where or how to get started,I have just turned grand 60 if that helps.
    Thankyou so much.
    Regards Paula :D

Welcome and Hafa Adai from Guam!

My first bit of advice to you would be to see if there are any classes in your area. The store you are buying your machine from should have classes on how to use it.
    With very little sewing experience, I would look to the local quilt shops for guidance and lessons.
    You can get a ton of advice/help from here, but what I think you may need would be hands on help from someone.
    But, with that said....there are TONS of really simple easy, FREE patterns/tutorials on line that will help you thru each step.

Welcome from Alaska,
    You found a great place to get tips on quilting! Ask away! You'll get more than you bargained for. He He! :D

Welcome to the group.
    tlrnhi may have the best advice. Before purchasing a quilting machine, I to think you need some hands on.
    Almost all shops that sell machines or a lot of fabric stores will have classes for beginners. That would be the place to start. Once you get the basics, who knows, maybe you might like to be a "hand quilter".
    And you are so right about it being rewarding.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome. I agree take some classes first. Then try out different machines. You might find something you like better.

*Waves from Iowa* :)

Blog Entries
    Hi and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! If it were me I would Take some classes and see what you like. I have thought I would like one type of quilting, went out and bought all kinds of stuff and then when I tried it discovered I really didn't care for it and I had spent a ton of money on it :cry: Just my thoughts
    Sharon

Welcome from Roscoe, Illinois.

Blog Entries
    Hi Chevie, welcome to the board :D So you have been bitten by the quilt bug too :lol: Buying a machine at a local dealer will allow you to test drive a machine, learn how to operate all it's functions, and take advantage of any classes they may offer. Feel free to post questions here, there is a lot of knowledge/experience here :wink:

Here is a list that was posted here of "must haves" on a sewing machine

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/7536.page

Check out the tutorial section of the board, too. ShellyQ has done a series of tutorials for the beginning quilter, Beginner Blocks #1 through #4

http://www.quiltingboard.com/forums/show/10.page

I can't give better advice than has already been said!
    Hello and welcome from Missouri! :lol:

Hi every one,thankyou so much for all your help and advice,I went to the Husqvarna shop today to see the Husqvarna Quilt Designer II with embroidery attachment in action ,I asked about a few lessons in quilt making but was told there would be a long waiting list, but the truth is my Mom bought her first Husqvarna when I was 10 ,the machine stayed in the family 45 years with no problems, Mom past away 12 years ago and I feel I owe her to get one and after seeing all the help you have to offer Im ready to go. Sorry I never introduced myself properly .I grew up Zimbabwe Africa,and am at the moment living in the UK,
    This Husqvarna Quilt Designer II with embroidery attachment and card reader seems great but the shop manager is not to clear about the software ,anybody familiar with this machine and its software.
    Thanks again :lol:

Welcome!
    Boy, have you come to the right place. I only hand quilt so don't know anything about a longarm , but plenty on here do and they will be glad to help you!

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    I can't give any better advise than already given, so I'll just send a big Welcome! from N California.

Hi from New Jersey! I am a self taught quilter. There are tons of books out there, but if you are more visual, like me, try the website QNN TV. It has many instructional quilting shows you can watch on you computer. Some require membership, but its reasonable for unlimited veiwing. Good luck, and beware, fabric is addicting!

Hi, Do some research on the net. I didn't know the machine you were talking about and did a search on it...found lots of interesting info.

Looks like a fab machine! I use a Janome6500 but it doesn't have embroidery capability. I love my machine but after seeing the one you want to get, I'm putting it on my 'wish list' for when I win the lottery. My wish list is quite long, LOL.

You will find lots of free quilt patterns and tutorials on the net AND even on YouTube. You will be quilting in no time at all.

And of course lots of support and ideas from this message board also.

welcome

warm quilt hugs, sue

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Arkansas

Blog Entries
    Greetings from Sacramento CA.

When I got bit by the quilting bug, I took a sampler class to learn about the techniques at a beginner level. Each session built on the previous and it really helped. Just moving from scissors to the rotary cutter was a challenge in the beginning.

As for the machine: I actually have 3 different machines now and I use them all for different reasons. One is a low end $$ for taking to classes. My work horse is a Pfaff with a built-in walking foot. Then I reecently got a Pfaff GrandQuilter for quilting. I took a loooong time researching the machines because they are expensive and I wanted to get a good match for my need.

I was intrigued by an embroidery/sewing machine but realized that it wouldn't be good for me. What would I do (sewing-wise) when the machine was doing "its thing." Hope you find a good match for you and that you enjoy the experience.

Welcome from Connie in Bennett, Colorado

Just find a group and join. They will sure help you get started.

You can join a Yahoo group called HuskyvarnaViking and learn alot from the people on there. I have had Vikings for over 10 years now and love them (I have Rose/Huskystar/MegaQuilter. I am a self taught quilter but also learn from groups and quilt guilds. Maybe you can find one in your area. Happy quilting!!!!!!

Hi Paula,

Welcome from Kansas. I have the Husqvarna Quilt Designer machine and love it. Its an older model but it does what I need. I hope to someday get into long arm quilting, but not there yet. Glad you joined the group.

Hi Paula, wherebouts in the UK are you? I live in Dudley, West Midlands.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hi Paula and welcome from France! I'm from the UK and have lived in the New Forest, the Cotswolds and East Anglia but was born in Blackpool - are you near any of those places?! LOL

Good advice above - I would only add that I wouldn't invest loads of money in a machine until you know what kind of quilter you will be. Start with a basic one and go from there. A lot of the ladies on here have two or more machines - I just bought a second one so I can machine quilt - and so the first will never go to waste. Or you can always trade it in or sell it on if you decide you want to upgrade. You'll get lots of advice and inspiration here - and fun too!

Banned
    welcome from WA :D

Have you bought your machine yet? THe only reason I ask is cause I compared and the Berninas are made soooo much better At least that is my opinion

Let me know when you get it. I have a site for you that would be of tremendous help with quilting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast