Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New to the board >

New to the board

New to the board

Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nell Arnold
Hi Everyone, my name is Nell, out of Atlanta Georgia, I have just started my very first quilt, I am having an overwhelming experience with a memory quilt for my Grandson. Started sports when he was 4 now graduating this year. So many different pieces does anyone have any suggestions on piecing together. I WOULD APPRICIATE all the help and ideas I can get. Thanks and everyone have a great day!!!
Welcome to the board, Nell. I don't know if this will work for you, but this is what I did. I wanted to make a memory quilt for my grandson's graduation quilt using the sports theme. I made a complete quilt top using the rail fence pattern. Since he was going into the military, I used the RWB theme, but tweeked it a little. I used Maroon, navy and cream. After the whole quilt top was assembled, sandwiched, and machine quilted (in the ditch), I made blocks with his sports pictures of him in his different sports uniforms (had pictures printed on fabric at the print shop). Also made baseballs, footballs, track shoes as appliques. Then I arranged all of these in a pleasing arrangement over the quilt. I hand appliqued these to the quilt. I figured if he got tired of the sports theme, or , if the printing didn't hold up in the wash, the appliques could be removed. Well, the whole quilt has held up well in the wash.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 AM

Welcome Nell. I think that you will enjoy the tuteorials on here as well as the other sites. One thing that helped me starting out was visit your local library and check on the quilting books. Also google Edward R. Hamilton bookseller and request a free catalog of real inexpensive quilt books. You can see them online. Great way to keep the info at hand.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Welcome from Scotland.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 AM

Hello, and welcome from Michigan! Post pics of what you have and someone will have ideas for you.