Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
new to chat about quilting >

new to chat about quilting

new to chat about quilting

Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Hi everyone, This is my first time, on line this way! I live in WY but spend the winter in AZ. I quilt in both places, but mainly simple quilts, I will be glad to visit with all.
IoneP
Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 AM

I my name is athensbabe, I live in Rothschild, Wis. I am a housewife, have no children. Just me and my husband. I do have a godchild and he graduates from high school this year. This is my first time in joining the quilting board.

I am just learning how do do wall quilts. I feel that is as big as I want to tackle. I have found out that I like to do paper piecing the best. I have just bought some material that has food on it and I am going to be making them into quilted placemats.

In two years I have a high school class reunion and I have told the commitee
that I would be bringing the prizes. My class is not a very big one we had only
50 classmates. I did this once before and then I was a hit too. So I try to make things that they can use on themselves or give as gifts to someone else.

I like to make things that are easy to do. I do some crocheting,but not as much as I use to do. My hands are getting arthic and this slows me down.
I want to make some afghans and shawls. I have about some fleece material and now I sew them too hangers. This makes a nice gift to give away. I just use the bottom half for pants and then I also do the whole hanger to put our tops on it. It keeps it from falling off.

Well this is all I have to tell,but it will be nice to meet new friends that quilt too.
athensbabe
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 AM

Hi, my name is Virginia Smith and I use GinnyK as my "creative" name. I live on a mountain top in the Ozark National Forest between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville, which is in the NE corner of Arkansas.
I started quilting this past year and have completed two pieced bed quilts and have the top finished for a queen. It is all paper pieced stars on a black background. It is for my grandson who is a stage lighting tech. I use Carol Doak's paper piecing method, and have found it to be my favorite.
I drove a big-truck with my husband for 7 years, and during that time I saw the entire US and did a lot of counted cross stitch. I am retired now.
My biggest quilting challenge is keeping the backing smooth during the quilting pricess. I am considering a quilt frame. Any advice?
Thanks and nice to meet you. :D
Old 12-08-2006, 08:10 AM

Hi girls;
It is very nice to meet you all.

I don't know everything yet. I have never done a big quilt before. My wall quilts are just the right size for me. It sounds like that star quilt would be easy to do.Is it? Virginia Smith it is nice to meet you too.
Cheryl Lenz ( username is athensbabe)
Old 12-08-2006, 09:47 AM

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Speaking of the star quilt, "easy" is relative. It has 25 12" squaree and one star has 120 pieces. Not all of them were that complicated, but each is different. If not for paper piecing, it would have been impossible for me.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:08 AM

Dear Virginia;
Is there a chance that you could send the pattern to me. Even though you copy it or tell me where you bought the pattern from. I sure would like to try it. Let me know if this would work for you.
Thanks,
Cheryl ( athensbabe)