Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New to forum, sewing for over 50 yrs. >

New to forum, sewing for over 50 yrs.

New to forum, sewing for over 50 yrs.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome from outside St. Louis, Mo. I've been sewing since about 14 yrs. old and started quilting over 44 yrs. ago. Lots of knowledgeable people on here, all are willing to share and help.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie
Welcome to this fun forum! I joined not long ago. We live in Delaware, but took a "memory trip" to Michigan in fall of 2008- my hubby lived there for some time in his younger years. We had some rainy weather, and I saw 2 quilt shows on that trip, with work that was really impressive! So MI is a creative place to be!

I used to use my Grandmas treadle machine too - That comment was what prompted my greeting to you. Wish I still had it - it was a New Home which now i understand is Janome. I guess I've come full circle now, cause I bought a nice Janome last year which I have enjoyed using. The auto feed walking foot is probably a good trade off for the treadle, in the current stream I'm in.

Welcome!!
Thanks for the greeting. The first machine I bought as a newlywed was a New Home. I paid for it on installment by sewing for others. Made all my son's corduroy overalls on it, as well as doing alterations for a dress shop. I still have that old workhorse, tho' seldom use it. Can't remember what make the old treadle was. Wish I still had it as they are fun and relaxing to use. Kind of therapeutic I think, like knitting.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gramma Harley
Welcome from Oregon~ I was thinking 50 years is a long time, but then I've been sewing for 43!
Really surprises us when we do the math! I will be 64 in May, and my DD says I could sew full time for the next 20 years and not exhaust my stash! Little does she realize that is my plan! :wink:
Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM

Wow, sound like your a pro to me. Have fun sewing! Doris

I'm new to quilting. I want to do some fancy stitches on the front of the quilt but not the back. I thought I would use a tear away stablizer and do the fancy stitching. Like stippling.sp.L? Do you think this will work. I plan on stitching in the ditch when I have the batting and the front done. I'm having a hard time explaining this but would appreciate any help I can get. I had a cousing that lived in Baton Rogue LA and she just recently moved to Illinois. Doris
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I'min Fort Gratiot by Port Huron. Occasionally get to or through Lapeer, I think you have a quilt shop there, don't you? I think I visited with friends there. Maybe I will again too. I'm making cloth bags now for the senior center for hand outs at our quilt show in May. Jan
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Hello and welcome from Maryland!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

Hi and welcome to the board from Oregon. we are happy to have you. I am teaching my self to quilt, and the board has been wonderful. Penny
Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Hi Penny, You will get a ton of information here. I can spend too much time reading it instead of doing it. Thanks for the welcome. Jan
Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm finding that I can spend too much time looking, not enuf time doing. do the rest of you have that problem? There is so much good info here, it's hard to leave. Jan