Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New here, from So. Calif >

New here, from So. Calif

New here, from So. Calif

Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM

I'm looking to learn about quilt piecing and sewing.

I used to sew more, and stopped for many years, and hope to get back in to piecing quilts.

I do have a question about what is quality thread and where to find it? My question is regards to the seam piecing thread.d Someone said use "quality thread" which made me wonder if Coats and Clark is not really in that category. There are so many choices, silky finish? and weights? Thanks for any directions.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:36 PM

crafter
Go to SEARCH on this site, type in 1-2 words, of what your looking for. And all kinds of things will pop up. Give it a try. Lots, and Lots of info here. Jump in. You see something you would like to have more info on, then contact that person. Everybody is helpful...But be sure and have fun..
Old 02-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Welcome to our wonderfully talented quilting family. Sorry I can't answer your question about the thread. I just use the coats and clark myself. I'm sure that someone on here will be more than happy to give you their opinion. Anyway welcome and don't forget to post pictures. We all just love to see what others are working on or have completed.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM

Hi there and welcome to the board! We are glad you found us, you will love it here!

About the thread, I can give you my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. I am not an expert but, did own a quilt store for 3 years and a Pfaff dealership so most of my opinions and knowledge come from those experiences.

First of all, when doing your peicing of quilts, you need to use 100% cotton thread. It won't cut the fabric and will wear better over the generations. It is also safer for infants and children. That being said, there are times you will use Polyester (embroidery) or specialty threads for embellishment or quilting. But, generally stick with 100% cotton for piecing.

I personally use Gutermann, Sulky or Mettler. They are all of higher quality. They are also wound correctly to come off the spool as to not tangle or snag in your machine. They have a smoother finish. Some machines are fussy and when you use a lower quality thread, the machine will not work as well. Sounds weird, but true. We had customers bring in their machines for repair because it was not stitching properly often. Most of the time when we switched to quality thread and made no adjustments, the machine stitched much better.

Hope this helps some. I am sure there are others out there who can give more insight as well!

Again, welcome!

Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Hi, I am fairly new also and in SoCal too. I was in the same boat you are a year ago. I have learned A LOT! First, I took a couple of classes. Then I got some quilting epals online. They have helped a lot. These chat boards are great too. To answer your question about thread, I used old thread at first - handed down by my mother and maybe even my grandmother.I was using a 20+ year old machine. I collected alot of spools from my completed works.Then I got a new machine and they told me to use cotton with cotton or poly with all fabrics. I had Guttermann in the machine when I went for the lesson because that is what they sell at M&L Fabrics in Anaheim. I am now using it exclusively. I have thrown out all the old thread. Hope to hear from you again.
judee
:D
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM

Welcome! I, too, am a Gutterman, Sulky, or Mettler fan. Coats thread seems to ball up on me and have a lot of knots in it. I only use it when I can't find something else.

M