Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Quilter, New Here, Too

Hi, all!

I've been to one of the chats here (great people, got lots of questions answered), but I think this is my first post.

I'm a new quilter, just finished a beginner class. In class we made a table runner of three nine patches, sashing, border and binding. It was a machine quilting class, but I don't have a machine (I used theirs) and want to start by hand quilting.

So I'm setting out to make a sampler quilt. The first blocks will be simple pieced blocks, then I plan to progress to more complex pieced blocks that include stars and curves, then applique blocks, a wholecloth block somewhere in the sequence, then a mix of pieced, applique and embroidery for the final block or two. I'm thinking 12" x 12" blocks, either 12 or 16 of them.

I realize this will take quite some time, but that's fine. The point is to learn and practice, and to have something to do.

Why quilting? Well, I've always loved needle arts. I came across Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilt books this spring and read them all, one after another. That's what inspired me.

Questions:
    1. When you design or draw your blocks on paper, do you use graph paper? Do you draw it the actual size? Where do they sell 12" x 12" graph paper? Or do you just measure right on the template?
    2. For those who have made a sampler quilt, did you use a specific color scheme? I kind of envision very different colors for my blocks, but I'm afraid it'll make the overall quilt look horrible.

Guess that's long enough for one post. : )

Welcome from Southern California. I have not taken the opportunity to design my own quilts yet (well, I start with a pattern and sometimes make it my own) I'm sure that there will be someone here that can answer your questions

*Waves from Iowa* :)

Blog Entries
    Hello from NC! I bought graph paper from Walmart (I don't think its 12"x12" tho) but now I use the Electric Quilt 6 to design and preview how the quilt will look. Haven't made a sampler quilt yet, just on the EQ6 :-)

Banned
    Welcome from WA :D

Hi Lisanne

Welcome from upstate NY (near Vermont). Wow you have quite the ambitious project planned! Good for you. My first quilt was a sampler as well but I made it from a book that was geared specficially to teach beginning quilters so all blocks were already designed and templates in the book. the book even planned the placement of the blocks. Thankfully I took a beginner class to make 4 blocks and introduce me to rotary cutting techniques so I only used the templates on odd shaped blocks like friendship star and LeMoyne Star and curves and the few applique pieces in the sampler. For the rest of the traditional blocks I just measured the templates and cut away with my ruler and rotary cutter for all the other blocks. LOL, I still have that book and every single template is marked with sizes for strips then cutting the stips down to HST or whatever was needed.

I have never drafted out my own blocks except for a mariners compass and I did that full size because I used the drafting pattern to create the paper pieces for paper piecing. Other then that, I have only designed a quilt using blocks that I had a pattern for. There is a great website that has lots of free block patterns. Here is a link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

Regarding color... that is a personal choice. I have made a baby quilt sampler that was scrappy, all different colors and my planned sampler used 4 or 5 different fabrics but had an overall feel of dark green and brick red. Both looked great. I think you will know after you have completed a couple of blocks and laid them out if you want to do the whole thing scrappy or choose a color theme. Can't wait to see pictures.

FF

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Ireland. I did my first sampler from a book too, by Lynn Edward, but there isn't a problem designing with graph paper. I would do them full sized, because then you could cut apart and use as templates, (Not forgetting to add seam allowances) Tape graph paper together if you can't buy it large enough, but buy tape you can draw over, not the shiny stuff. Hope that helps.

Hi and welcome from Ninnie in NC

I usually draw to scale. Have you looked at the printable graph papers online?

Blog Entries

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you joined us. I have drafted a few of my kimono blocks, on just 8 1/2x11 graphing paper. I don't know if they make a 12x12 graphing paper. As for your sampler quilt, just use colors that "go" together, it'll look fine.

Welcome from S. Arizona.
    I just purchased EQ6 and have been reading the manual (something I never do :)), and doing the lessons for the past 3 days....love it so far.
    In the past I've used graph paper and deviated as I was sewing if inspiration hit me :). This worked well so I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks for your welcomes, everyone!

I guess I should mention that I'm in Central PA.
    :::waving west towards Iowa, sw to CA, se to NC (twice), nw to WA, ne to NY, over the waters to Ireland and over the border to NE CA (assuming CA here means Canada and not California) :::

I'm so impressed by the quilt pics some of you have as avatars (Jim's Gem, Crafty1, Lacelady, Ninnie). dvseals, your little ones are just beautiful, and your cat is gorgeous, feline fanatic!

I found 12 x 12 graph paper at Jo-Ann's Fabrics, bought it, but so expensive! $6 & change gets you only 20 sheets. I had a 50% off coupon, but still....
    Moonpi, thanks for telling me that printable graph paper exists online. My printer seems to be irrevolcably out of order, and I don't think it does 12 x 12 sheets anyway, but if I can save the graph paper onto my hard drive, I can design away in Windows Paint for now.
    Crafty 1 and SharonC, I looked up EQ6 and am just drooling! I suppose since I'm just doing basic blocks at first it can wait, but it's on my wish list.

Feline fanatic, to me a sampler quilt is the quintessential learning project. It would be more ambitious for me to make a regular quilt, IMO. I can tell everyone that all the flaws are because each block was a learning experience for me. Your beginner class must have taught you quite a bit! I see doing the LeMoyne Star as one of my later blocks, when I have more experience. I'm just awed that you're even attempting a Mariner's Compass! Do you have pics yet?

Btw, thanks for the link. I've been using this website's blocks, playing with them, choosing ones for y sampler.

Lacelady, I'll look for the Lynne Edwards book. I have one from the library, The Book of Sampler Quilts by Dorothy Frager. It has some good info and photos of sampler quilts, but not all the info I want.

As for my colors, the problem is that each block has its own color theme, but the blocks won't all coordinate color wise. Well, one step at a time.

Right now, I'm struggling with the triangles on the Fair and Square block, which I thought was as simple as you could get without doing all straight lines. It took me forever to realize I didn't need templates, just to measure and rotary cut. Then my triangle fabric turned out not to be 100% cotton, which I found out when the iron started to melt it. It's a hard-to-find color, too, the yellow-orange of a school bus or Crayola crayon box. Jo-Ann's doesn't have it in all cotton. I bought the closest shade, but it's just too yellow.

Welcome from Northern Michigan!

Kudos to you for jumping in and designing your own squares! I draw all my quilts on graph paper with colored pencils. Then I assign each square a value- usually 3 inches- and then add my seam allowance. I don't make each square on it's own piece of paper unless I am trying to draw my own applique design.

I attached one so you can see how I do it.

As far as each square having it's own color scheme, I think you will be fine- IMO your color choices are what make your quilt "yours". I do think that setting them on white or a solid color might help with letting the eye have some resting spots, but that is just me. If you go to Flickr and search for Sampler Quilts I bet you would get a lot of inspiration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2886035802/

For instance in this quilt they used a lot of different colors, but the black setting makes it look nice and tidy. (To me anyway. Tidy is a pretty subjective term- LOL!)

Welcome and you will have to show us pictures of your quilt when it's done, or even as you are working on it! We love pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi welcome from Spain, I am sure someone if not several will be able to answer your questions, I mainly applique and PP so canīt help with all these HST, the drive me nutty.
    Elle

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Thanks for your welcomes, everyone!

... It's a hard-to-find color, too, the yellow-orange of a school bus or Crayola crayon box. Jo-Ann's doesn't have it in all cotton. I bought the closest shade, but it's just too yellow.
    Lisanne
    If your color is too bright soak in a couple of teabags until it's the color you're wanting :) This has helped me get different tans/beiges that I've had trouble getting exactly what I'm looking for.
    Afterwards, soak in salt water to help set it.
    Hope this helps
    SharonC

Thanks for the suggestion, Sharon. In this case, it's not that the yellow's too bright, it's that it's not the orange-yellow I want. I suspect it would take a lot of trial and error to get it just right with tea, though I'll have to experiment with it sometime. I have considered getting some RIT dye and just making my own. Yeesh, so much trouble for such a little bit of fabric, but I really want that specific color.

Butterflyspain, hola! Spanish quilts, I imagine there are differences. I would love to see them.

Lisa T, thansk for the graph paper pic. That is just beautiful! I got regular-sized graph paper today for dreaming up designs, but went for markers instead of colored pencils. They're on sale now, though, what with back-to-school sales, so maybe I'll get some.

By the way, all, at some point I'll dig up my digital camera and show my class project, but until then, the avatar pic is the block I'm trying to work on. The quilt won't have those black lines in it, though I'm thinking I like them...

Hi and welcome from SW Iowa. Have fun here.

There are lots of sites for blocks of the month -- BOMs -- I used them for samplers for my 3 grandsons. I used coordinated colors for each. Started with each grandsons favorite color and added to it.

Oh, by the way, welcome to our group.

Hi, Lisanne!
    I'm QC from Florida. I have tons of books and patterns, but seem to draw my own out a lot! goofy, I know. I get so inspired, but then, start changing until next thing you know, it's pretty much all mine.
    I use graph ppr and colored pencils, like LisaT. She makes great colorful quilts, as many here do.
    In fact, never ever seen an ugly anything on this quiltboard at all!
    It's a wonderful group, and sure to inspire you.
    I don't know where to get 12" x 12" graph paper. Sometimes, I use
    paper tape that I buy from the Clotilde catalog (clotilde.com, i think), and I tape pages together, if I want a larger graph area.
    I use the paper tape, bc I can write or color on it.
    I am with Lisa, in that, if you use solid sashing around your blocks, or a tonal, or something that reads as solid, it will keep your blocks just far enough apart, that your blocks will look great being different and on same quilt. Try it, you'll like it! :D

Thanks for the new welcomes!

Littlehud, I've been admiring that quilt in your avatar with the kitties on it every time I see one of your posts. Those colors are lovely. At some point, I want to doa quilt in those colors. (I don't have kitties, but mybe I can borrow a few to make the quilt look right.)

Pats8e8, what a charming picture of your dogs! They're cute enough to win a photo contest, I think. I'll take a look at the BOMs, but I'm nowhere near that level yet. At some point, I'd love to try them; they sound like so much fun.

quiltncrazy, your mouse avatar is darling! Wherever did you find it? Or did you create it yourself? I don't think it's goofy to change up designs to suit yourself. I'm using book and online block patterns for most of my sampler quilt blocks. I'm not tracing out templates for the geometric ones, since those can be measured and just rotary cut, but I'll use a book pattern template for at least one block, an applique wreath. I'm drawing out all the blocks at the actual size to see how they look. Something that looks fine as a thumbnail print or book picture might look to thick or whatever - also it saves me from all those geometric calculations I'd have to do. (I actually tried working out the length of an on point square using the Pythagorean theorem. Bleahhh! So much easier to draw it out and measure the result.)

Well, I did find the 12' x 12' graph paper at Jo-Ann, but as I posted earlier, it's expensive and you only get 20 hseets, so I have regular-sized graph paper for planning out quilts.

Yes, I will be using sashing. I guess I'd planned to use a solid for it, but I guess I'll wait until all or at least most of the blocks are finished before worrying ahout it.

nope, didn't draw mousie myself. don't quite recall where we met up. I just love her. She lives in my online-cave, over in the personal diaries and announcements section of board, in new neighborhood :wink:

Hello and welcome from NE Central PA. This is a wonderful forum and I'm sure you will like it here. Where in PA are you from?

Another welcome from sunny Southern California!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast