new quilter

Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM

hi edie,thanks for your e-mail. your right only have myself to blame and i do plenty of that. i am really beating myself up this week. I cannot seem to get a square block no matter what i do and then nothing comes together when its time to put the quilt together. that is probably why i only have ufo's. thanks for listening .Tammylou
Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome from Missouri, you will love it here. Wonderful people here.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Hi Tammylou--
I'm new to quilting and to this web site. It's a wonderful place to come though. Everyone is very helpful!! Explore and enjoy. susan
Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM

I never get squared either. Here's a tip my mom told me. Pick out the smallest one, square it, and make all the others the same size - here again - who's to know but you. I have been quilting for over ten years. I have no idea what a totally correct block is supposed to look like when it is finished. Mine never are. But they seem to turn out. Last year I was asked to make a quilt for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Three Day Walk. Sure, I said - yah!!!!! It turned out beautifully, it made over $1,500 in a raffle drawing and I was asked to make another one this year and am in the process of making another one, this being a Sampler Quilt with 35 12" blocks and at the same time a Sampler Quilt for our granddaughter that has 15 12" blocks. Don't beat yourself up. I seem to do my best work when I am listening to an audio book, having a glass of wine or pop and be able to get up and walk away if you are a little perturbed at what is going on. You'll get a new perspective when you stick your nose out the door and breathe or talk to someone on the phone.

LISTEN TO ME - I AM 71 YEARS OLD AND PROBABLY A HECKUVA LOT OLDER THAN YOU AND IF YOU DON'T LISTEN, I'LL SIC MY MOTHER ON YOU - SHE'S 93 AND STILL QUILTS!

Enjoy the day and enjoy what you are doing! Edie
Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Hi from Oregon!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 PM

hi edie, THANK YOU so much. I really needed that. My husband is very supportive and is a good sounding board for me. He took me for a long ride in the country, really cleared my head and then I came home and got your mail that reaaly lifted me. Thanks again and Thanks to your Mom!! Tammylou (which is actually my name and my mothers I lost her four years ago,she was a young 69 and I'm 52. It is so nice to meet you. Have a nice evening. Tammy
Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Hi and welcome from Central New York. We all have UFO's laying around.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Hi and thanks for your welcome. Aha new hampshire, the area in which i long to go on my dream vacation. and also to vermont. Tammylou
Old 03-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Thank you , i'm learning just how true that is. Thanks,tammylou
Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Hi, it is nice to meet you. Tammylou