new quilter

Old 03-26-2010, 05:04 AM

Welcome from Hartselle, Ala! I'm new too, and I feel so comfortable here already. I hope to make a lot of new friends, and to learn a lot from all of you!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Welcome from Solon Iowa. I have a trunk full of UFO's.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Welcome! Glad to see you here.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Hi Welcome from Georgia.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by tammylou
Hi my name is tammy and I am new to this site. I'm a self taught quilter but as of right now I haven't finished my first quilt yet (get a lot of razzing for that one) I do have 4 ufo's in progress though.

Hi Tammylou: Welcome! You'll learn lots and you'll teach all of us alot, too...why, already I've learned from you...ARE WE SUPPOSE TO FINISH OUR QUILTS? Here I thought you just had to make the tops and if they sat around long enough maybe they'd finish themselves!!! :roll: Enjoy your visits to the board!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM

ThankS everyone for warm welcome. Tammylou I didnt finnish my first few quilts either. But have about 4 going right now. Cant work on one at a time lol. Have a hand applique(which will probly take me 2 years to finnish Im using hand dyes on it), a baby quilt, a dresden plate and a Quilt for my grandson.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi Tammy. Welcome !!!! You are going to love it here
Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edie
I never get squared either. Here's a tip my mom told me. Pick out the smallest one, square it, and make all the others the same size - here again - who's to know but you. I have been quilting for over ten years. I have no idea what a totally correct block is supposed to look like when it is finished. Mine never are. But they seem to turn out. Last year I was asked to make a quilt for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Three Day Walk. Sure, I said - yah!!!!! It turned out beautifully, it made over $1,500 in a raffle drawing and I was asked to make another one this year and am in the process of making another one, this being a Sampler Quilt with 35 12" blocks and at the same time a Sampler Quilt for our granddaughter that has 15 12" blocks. Don't beat yourself up. I seem to do my best work when I am listening to an audio book, having a glass of wine or pop and be able to get up and walk away if you are a little perturbed at what is going on. You'll get a new perspective when you stick your nose out the door and breathe or talk to someone on the phone.

LISTEN TO ME - I AM 71 YEARS OLD AND PROBABLY A HECKUVA LOT OLDER THAN YOU AND IF YOU DON'T LISTEN, I'LL SIC MY MOTHER ON YOU - SHE'S 93 AND STILL QUILTS!

Enjoy the day and enjoy what you are doing! Edie
Hi edie, thank you for the good tips. Penny
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
Welcome from Hartselle, Ala! I'm new too, and I feel so comfortable here already. I hope to make a lot of new friends, and to learn a lot from all of you!
Hi DebbieJJ, welcome from Oregon. The people on this board are wonderful, and you will have a lot of friends here and also help if you need it. Penny